• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted Vegetable Gazpacho

AlexP

Roasted Vegetable Gazpacho

AlexP made this for a Twin Cities gathering and paired it with the White Gazpacho recipe (which is also on RecipeGullet). It was outstanding.

• 4 Large Tomatoes (each cut in half)
  • 1 Green Pepper (seeded and cut in half)
  • 1 Large Onion (yellow or Spanish, cut in half, not peeled)
  • 1 Large Cucumber (peeled, cut in half)
  • 1 Head of Garlic (cut off the top)
  • 1 c of EVOO
  • 1/4 c Balsamic Vinegar
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Have charcoal burning in one side of the grill.

Coat all the ingredients with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Poor some olive oil and salt on the cut garlic head.

Grilled the vegetables on direct heat for a few minutes until you have nice grill marks with the grill uncovered

Keep transferring any vegetables with sufficient grill marks to the indirect heat section of the grill

Once all the vegetables have a nice color, keep them on the grill at indirect heat with the grill covered for about 15 minutes so they get some nice roasted flavor.

If you see any vegetables loosing too many juices, remove them to a bowl. Keep the tomatoes with the seeds side facing up.

After the 15 minutes of roasting under indirect heat with grill covered, transfer vegetables to a bowl and cover for a few minutes until they are cold enough to handle. If you have time peeled the pepper and the tomatoes. Also, scoop out the cloves of garlic from the head and peeled the onion.

Cut up the ingredients and transfer them to the blender (maybe use only 5 cloves of garlic to begin with and adjust to your taste if needed). You might have to do this step in a couple batches.

Poor some of the olive oil and vinegar into the blender and blend until smooth.

Taste for salt and pepper as well as olive oil and vinegar. The above measurements are just an approximation. It is up to the cook's taste to adjust the recipe. I personally use Balsamic Vinegar, but please, do not tell any of my fellow Spaniards, Sherry Vinegar is another great option (although it might not need much quantity)

The portions of the ingredients are not extremely important, change to your taste or based on whatever amounts you have available.

Cool in the refrigerator, preferably overnight and serve with croutons, grilled or uncooked chopped vegetables. If you do not have time to chill the soup, poor some ice cubes with the ingredients and blend them together.

In summary, the recipe is a general overview of the process; other ingredients might be used such as bread, herbs, lemon juice.... Personally, I have not really tried any other combination although traditional gazpachos use bread.

I use the same ingredients when I am making a regular gazpacho without roasting the vegetables. In this case, you might want to lower the amount of raw garlic.

Keywords: Appetizer, Grill, Soup, Vegetarian, Vegetables

( RG1019 )