• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Balsamic Marinated Strawberries with Basil and Black Pepper

tharrison

Balsamic Marinated Strawberries with Basil and Black Pepper

Serves 4 as Dessertor 2 as Salad.

I love strawberries with balsamic vinegar so I whipped this up. Added the basil when I saw a recipe from Mario Batali with basil in it.

I like it on thick and tangy yogurt (make yogurt cheese by draining some whey out of regular yogurt). Mario's called for ricotta. I bet it'd also be great on gelato/ice cream or with a dollop of crème frâiche.

• 1 lb fresh strawberries, cleaned and tops removed
  • 2 T honey
  • 2 T sugar
  • 1/2 lemon's peel and juice
  • 2 T best quality balsamic vinegar
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 10 oz plain yogurt (I prefer Total Greek yogurt), ricotta, or similar
  • torn basil leaves

1. Slice the strawberries and add to a bowl. Sprinkle on the sugar and honey until desired sweetness. Add a pinch of salt, the lemon rind (about 2 slices with as little pith as possible), and a small squeeze of the lemon juice. Let macerate for 10-15 minutes.

2. Immediately before serving, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper (to taste), basil leaves, and balsamic vinegar.

3. Use it as a topping on whatever you want.

Keywords: Dessert, Salad, Easy, Italian

( RG1011 )

"I like butter and the people who like butter." -TA