• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Penelope Corcoran needs to simmer down

Perhaps other critics do feel the same way as she does. It's entirely inappropriate, however, for her to write this and for the editors to allow it to be published. Her job is to critique food and restaurants, not her readers.

In my work, I get asked dumb questions all of the time by people who don't understand what it is that I do. Sometimes I feel like I need to put these idiots in their place and tell them what's what. But I don't because it's not my job, and it would be entirely unprofessional to do so!

By the way, her parting words "It's been my pleasure to serve you" are a complete load of crap. She must be one of those people who think that they can say whatever they want, as long as they say "I'm sorry."

i quit believing any of Penelope's reviews when she gave her opinion of Alexandria's on 2nd. she neither attended the pre opening media event, nor did she return when it opened to the public. instead, she "perused" the menu and wrote up her review.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/182858_dining21.html

glowing review for somewhere she's never lifted a fork!

again, in "ask the critic" colum, to someone seeking Hawaiian Plate Lunch, she fobs off her job by listing a bunch of restaurnants. Proudly proclaiming "... there are several Hawaiian-style restaurants that sound very promising. I haven't yet visited any, but they're on my list to try. If you check them out any time soon, let me know what you think. Mahalo!"

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/212468_ask18.html

guess she wont eat out, but will rely on others to help her do her job..

slacker.

Wow. I'm kind of surprised there is so much negativity directed towards Penelope Corcoran. I've always found her food contributions (whether reviews or other information) to be helpful and written well, even when I didn't end up agreeing with her. The column linked to at the beginning of this thread didn't seem like that big of a deal to me - certainly not worth getting upset about. I wish her the best and am interested to see what the PI does to take her place.

Penelope is actually ok. When I was in AZ. she was the critic for a publication that seemingly never gave a bad review. I think the angst of having to smile and like it hardened her. I actually tried to mail her the day before it was announced and her mail was already dead. Guess when you are out at the PI you get packing ASAP. Have they announced the replacement? Maybe denh. I wish it could have been Michael Hood. really smart, cool guy but he is really entrenched in the politics scene now (as he always was) and probably does not have the time to do that. For me though, the times will always reign supreme. They have a corral of the best writers. they have the mamster..what more could you ask for?