• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Caviar

fifi

Texas Caviar

The original Texas Caviar recipe that I was introduced to was in the Pace Picante cookbook, sadly not available anymore. I have changed it quite a bit to our taste but the basics are there. Consider this a starting point as the variations are endless. Friends endlessly request that I bring this to our gatherings. There is some added advantage that it is healthy and even appeals to the odd vegetarian.

• 1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can white hominy, drained and rinsed
  • 4 green onions thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/2 c chopped onion, preferably white, rinsed after chopping
  • 1/2 c chopped celery
  • 1/4 c chopped parsley
  • 1 c Pace picante sauce or more to taste
  • 1 T cider vinegar or more to taste

Salt to taste

Mix all together and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Serve with saltine crackers or tortilla chips.

Variations:

Consider this a starting point and vary the ingredients to suit you. I don’t think I have ever made it the same way twice.

The original recipe called for chopped green pepper instead of celery. I like celery better.

The original recipe called for chopped cilantro instead of parsley. I find the cilantro too strong. But then, I am not a cilantro fan. You might try adding a little.

You can use any combination of canned beans and hominy. Or, no hominy. If you use more than 2 cans, adjust the other ingredients accordingly or vary quantities according to your taste. This recipe is infinitely expandable to match the size of the crowd. Garbanzos are particularly good and black beans add a nice color contrast. I particularly like to use Goya brand canned beans. You can find them in any Hispanic market or maybe in the “ethnic” department of a large grocery. They are preferred because they are perfectly cooked and not mushy.

Heat it up with a little cayenne or Tabasco sauce. The new flavors of Tabasco like Chipotle or Garlic add a nice flavor note.

Of course, there are now many flavors of Pace Picante to choose from and a gazillion other brands.

Add fresh chopped jalapeno or other chiles. Add fresh chopped red or yellow bell peppers. Adds nice color and is not as strong as green pepper.

Diced jicama adds a nice crunch.

Keywords: Appetizer, Vegetarian, Easy, Beans, Snack

( RG788 )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose