• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Work in Progress Chili

Huevos del Toro

Work in Progress Chili

I've tried numerous "championship" chili recipes but have found none to compare with this one (which I've modified a thousand times!).

• 2 lb Chuck roast
  • 3 T "Pure" chili powder
  • 4 tsp hot or sweet Hungarian paprika
  • 2 tsp toasted cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp ground Mexican oregano
  • 1 tsp MSG (Accent, optional)
  • 1 tsp Salt (to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp Sugar
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
  • 2 Garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Onion, yellow
  • Beef stock as needed
  • 1 Hunts tomato sauce or El Paso Green Chili Tomatoes
  • Mexican bitter chocolate
  • 1/2 tsp Balsamic vinegar (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander OR minced cilantro leaves (optional)

1. Cube chuck, brown, drain, reserving the juices; set aside.

2. Thoroughly mix next 10 ingredients (dry spices) together.

3. Add dry spices to meat and blend well.

4. Sauté onion and garlic, add to meat and blend.

5. Add liquid ingredients (tomatoes, water, beef stock, reserved juice, (and beer if you prefer). 1-2 cups should be sufficient; combine thoroughly. Add chocolate.

6. Return meat to a simmer for about 2 hours or until almost done.

7. Let cool, then refrigerate overnight.

8. Reheat next day - taste and adjust seasonings. You can thicken with regular or masa harina (a couple of tablespoons should be sufficient), but the chili will self-thicken over time.

This recipe begs for experimentation. I rarely use the quantities listed here, preferring to taste and adjust as I go.

Note: Dice more onion and serve on the side. Onions lose their sharpness when simmered for extended periods. Grated Cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro, pickeled jalapeño peppers, crackers or bread, and ice cold beer or milk may also be served on the side. You could even serve beans for those who insist on them!

If you use beer as part of the cooking liquid, Dos Equis, Bohemia, or Negra Modelo might be called for here. Grind all herbs in a mortar, if possible.

Keywords: Main Dish, American, Easy, Beef, Hot and Spicy

( RG774 )

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro