• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What should my deli stock?

This is a great idea, Basildog.

Oh, and:

Pie.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Seriously, what local Cornish foods are there? What are those Saffron cakes? I seem to remember something about a Saffron growing village and Phonecians?

Saffron cake is a kind of yeasty sweet bread chock full of sultanas and peel. It also comes as buns (very convenient, and far superior to a toasted teacake) The story I heard is that the people of, I think Marazion near Penzance, were regular traders with the Phonecians who brought spices, including saffron, and got hooked. I was hooked as a child, so was delighted to find out when I grew up that it was used in Spanish and Indian cooking too (Cornwall is a little out of the way, after all). It's still one of my favorite spices.

Other fabbie Cornish food:

Cauliflower (really)

Lobsters, if you can get them before they go to London

Helford Oysters

Pichards, if you can get them before they go to Spain

Really crusty clotted cream

Barnicotts pasties (there used to be a Barnicotts in Padstow, don't know if it is still there)

Proper Cornish vanilla ice cream

:raz:

It's in the shorter two-volume OED above my desk: 'of or pertaining to artisans, involving manual skill'.

Odd. It's not in the OED online.

Nor it is. Or rather, it occurs once in the OED online, glossing 'mechanical':

3. Belonging to or characteristic of people engaged in manual work, esp. regarded as a class, artisanal; vulgar, coarse. Now rare.

So it's a good enough word to help define another word, but it doesn't itself exist. You can't trust anything these days, not even the OED.

It's in the New Oxford Dictionary of English

artisan

noun a worker in a skilled trade, especially one that involves making things by hand.

DERIVATIVES

artisanal adjective.

ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from French, from Italian artigiano, based on Latin artitus, past participle of artire ‘instruct in the arts’, from ars, art- ‘art’.

(which I have on my computer, in case anybody thinks I've just typed that out)

Chloë

It's in the New Oxford Dictionary of English

artisan

noun a worker in a skilled trade, especially one that involves making things by hand.

DERIVATIVES

artisanal adjective.

ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from French, from Italian artigiano, based on Latin artitus, past participle of artire ‘instruct in the arts’, from ars, art- ‘art’.

(which I have on my computer, in case anybody thinks I've just typed that out)

Chloë

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I wondered how long it would be before you added your tuppenny worth!

v

This gets stranger and stranger. The OED online to which I have access (http://dictionary.oed.com/) gives for mechanical:

2.a. Of persons: Engaged in manual labour; belonging to the artisan class. Now rare. Hence, characteristic of this class, mean, vulgar (obs.).

I think I've made sense of this. There are (at least) two entries for 'mechanical'. The one I quoted I got to by doing an advanced search for 'artisanal'. It's labelled 'draft entry Dec. 2001'. The one you quote comes up when doing a straight search on 'mechanical' and is from the 1989 2nd ed. You can switch between the two by clicking the 'earlier' / 'later' button at the top right.

• 3 months later...