• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What should my deli stock?

i mentioned this on another thread but,

the star 'corner shop' sells basically the fresh produce the restaurant uses, it is almost an extension of their stores and bakery.

one thing i do like that might help your margins is they sell 'leftovers' ie things that are on the menu that can be easily re-heated such as casseroles, rissottos, soups. they sell really well and sell for about £7 for a tub with enough for 2 (think last i had was a venison bourginon (never can spell that)).

they also sell a big cheese range cookbooks and local 'tat'.

you don't win friends with salad

Excellent local cheese, and a few posh imported varieties

Good ham (Italian, Spanish), pancetta

Local seasonal fruit & veg (cobnuts, new garlic, etc)

Good bread

Pesto

A couple of fresh filled pastas

A couple ready-to-be-heated main dishes (pies, boned stuffed chicken legs, etc - changing regularly)

A regularly changed salad/antipasto type dish

Something gorgeous and chocolate - an eat-on-your-way-home item

one thing i do like that might help your margins is they sell 'leftovers' ie things that are on the menu that can be easily re-heated such as casseroles, rissottos, soups. they sell really well and sell for about £7 for a tub with enough for 2 (think last i had was a venison bourginon (never can spell that)).

oohh, I really like the sound of that. I could pop into Basildog's deli on the way home and pick up some risotto and poached pears for dinner, shame it's a bit of a detour from London, it's not fair :sad:

oohh, I really like the sound of that.  I could pop into Basildog's deli on the way home and pick up some risotto and poached pears for dinner, shame it's a bit of a detour from London, it's not fair :sad:

Mail Order?

i see an empire forming.....MUHAHAHA :wink:

We already run a mini deli in the window of the restaurant 10-4pm ish

This is just a table top chiller, but we sell

Roasted Peppers and Aubergines

Kalamata Olives

Poached Pears

Sticky Toffee Puddding

Local Leaves

Chorizo and Parma Ham

One Variety of Bread

Some locally made Jams and Chutneys (with cloth tops Simon :raz: )

Caramelised Walnuts

we sometimes also sell shortbread, cookies and fudge

edit...weird nobody mentioned olives...probably our best seller