• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Beans (Southern Style)

fifi

Green Beans (Southern Style)

Serves 4 as Side.

I invented this one day when I had a sudden craving for green beans. (???) I wanted to make them more delicious without losing the green beans in the process. The answer was to go a bit over the top with seasonings without getting so complicated that the beans got lost. The following recipe is what I came up with and has since become an addictive vegetable. Some in my family have been known to eat nothing else… for breakfast. The recipe is for one pound but I usually cook at least two. Just multiply accordingly.

• lb Fresh green beans
  • Pieces thick sliced bacon
  • Large white onion
  • c Chicken broth
  • Salt & pepper to taste

Immerse the green beans in a sink full of cold water and swish around. This will get any grit off of them. Snap off any ugly ends and snap into about 1 inch pieces. Set aside.

Cut the bacon strips crosswise into 1 inch pieces. In a heavy pot, big enough to hold all of the ingredients, cook the bacon on medium heat until all fat is rendered and the pieces are crispy. This is done relatively slowly so that all fat is rendered without the bacon becoming over browned. You will have to stir occasionally to ensure even browning. If you must, tip the pot and remove some of the bacon fat. For God's sake, don't remove all of it. (Reserve if you want to try the variation noted later.)

Chop the onion into a medium dice. Add to the pot, sprinkle sparingly with salt, add fresh ground pepper to taste (I like a lot) and continue to cook over medium heat until thoroughly cooked and beginning to caramelize. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking and caramelization without burning on the bottom. You will probably have to scrape the bottom from time to time.

Add the green beans and chicken broth. Bring to a fast simmer, but not a hard boil. Cover and cook for about an hour or more, stirring occasionally. We are NOT going for al dente here. You want thoroughly stewed green beans, tender and luscious. Remove the cover and continue to simmer until the liquid cooks down by about half. Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.

Notes:

Pay attention to the cooking times. This is important. You can't rush well done crispy bacon, well caramelized onions, or thoroughly stewed green beans that develop a wonderful sweetness. (I have been accused of adding sugar.) Cooking down the "pot liquor" is also an important step.

A variation is to take 1 to 2 tablespoons of reserved bacon fat, combine with 1 tablespoon flour in a small frying pan, and make a medium roux. Add the roux to the beans when you take the lid off. Stir to combine with the liquid and cook until the consistency of the liquid suits you.

This is a good recipe to make ahead for a dinner. Just reheat, but please don't microwave. The variation with the roux can be put into a casserole dish. Sprinkle some of those French fried onion things or breadcrumbs on top and reheat in the oven.

Keywords: Side, Vegetables, Intermediate, American

( RG577 )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose