• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauce for Brisket

Dave the Cook

Sauce for Brisket

• 1/4 c defatted veal-sherry reduction
  • 1 T soy sauce
  • 2 star anise, or 1/4 t five-spice powder
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • 2 T rice wine vinegar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • pinch salt
  • 1 tsp prepared mustard
  • 3/4 c neutral vegetable oil, plus 3 T sesame oil
  • dash pepper sauce

1. Combine the reduction, soy sauce, star anise, garlic, brown sugar, and vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for one minute. Remove from heat and allow to steep for another minute. Remove the star anise (if you're substituting five-spice powder, add it now). Set liquid aside.

2. Make a mayonnaise, starting with the egg yolk and salt to get an emulion going, then adding the mustard, then the combined oils in the usual manner. Add a few drops of the reserved liquid from time to time as you make the mayonnaise.

3. Whisk in the rest of reserved liquid and pepper sauce. Adjust seasonings.

4. Cover and refrigerate.

Note: I'm not sure about the mustard, taste-wise. I left it in because it's in the original recipe, but I'm pretty sure it's only there to help the emulsion, which, IMO, doesn't need it. So if the mustard seems a little weird to you, too, leave it out and make the mayo in a food processor, using a whole egg to start, as in the next recipe.

Keywords: Sauce

( RG574 )

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.