• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lime Chutney Sherry Dressing--From the NY Potluck dinner

Aquitaine

Lime Chutney Sherry Dressing--From the NY Potluck dinner

This dressing is a creation of Floyd Cardoz at Tabla, New York City. The original recipe was published in the New York Times on December 8, 1999. Please give him his due: I would never have thought of this!

I make a salad of butter or or Boston-type lettuce, thinly sliced red onions that have been "sweetened" and crisped by chilling in water for about 30 minutes and thinly sliced cucumbers. I also add slices or segments of navel oranges (remove all the pith, first, please....).

Sometimes I serve the salad without cucumbers and add black olives and a spinkle of cayenne pepper...

• 1 part sherry (like an oloroso; not too dry and not too sweet)
  • 1 part red wine vinegar
  • 1 part EVOO
  • 1/16 part Indian lime pickle, like Patak's Mild Lime Relish
  • 1/16 part mango chutney (I use a sweet one, rather than a hot one)
  • Chopped fresh tarragon
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Over medium heat, reduce the sherry to two-thirds of its original volume.

In a blender, process the lime pickle, chutney and vinegar until smooth. Blend in the sherry. While the machine is running, slowly add oil until emulsified.

Add the tarragon, salt and pepper. Do not blend. Refrigerate unused portions (keeps for quite a long time in a cold refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving).

Keywords: Salad

( RG572 )