• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fusilli alla Siciliana- From the NY Potluck Dinner

SobaAddict70

Fusilli alla Siciliana- From the NY Potluck Dinner

I've made this dish A LOT of times, so I've reworked the recipe a lot. Roasting the cauliflower adds a new dimension to the dish that the original one lacks...not that the original one isn't any good

• Cauliflower
  • EVOO
  • Garlic (I used about half a head)
  • capers
  • anchovy fillets (I was planning on getting salt-packed anchovies but couldn't so I opted for the more familiar kind)
  • flat-leaf Italian parsley
  • red pepper flakes
  • balsamic vinegar

Roast cauliflower (350 degree preheated oven) for an hour and 15 minutes. I had prepared it by breaking into florets, and seasoning with EVOO and kosher salt. Took out the cauliflower, let it cool for a bit, and then chopped the whole florets up into smaller pieces.

Saute minced garlic in EVOO, add capers and anchovies. Saute until anchovies have disintegrated into the sauce. Ok, so this wasn't a purely vegetarian offering, but the anchovies are only there to provide a certain depth of flavor. I like to use them because they add a bass note to a lot of dishes along this particular vein. Tossed in a good dash of red pepper flakes, not enough to overwhelm things but enough to lend a hint of a bite. Added the florets to the garlic/anchovy mixture, drizzle with a little more EVOO, toss to coat and cook uncovered for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more EVOO as needed. Towards the final 5 minutes of cooking, added a splash of balsamic vinegar and let the vinegar mostly cook off. I wanted just a hint of tang and sweetness. Added a little more EVOO, and adjusted seasoning to taste. Prepared fusilli and combined pasta with the sauce directly in the pot. Added parsley and tossed to coat.

( RG570 )