• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lentejas -- Lentils

Lentejas -- Lentils

For me, the lentils are the best of all the legumes; humble and yet incredibly good. They are a very important part of the Spanish diet & have now also become stylish. You can find them in many famous restaurants as the ingredient of choice for many dishes.

See more of my Spanish Recipes here.

Ingredients:

• 1 c brown lentils (well washed; cover & rinse with cold water several times)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • of parsley
  • 1/2 head of garlic
  • 1 tsp sweet pimentón (found in most specialty stores; substitute with good paprika)
  • 4 oz salt pork or bacon (make sure to blanch bacon for a minute to remove the strong smoky flavor)
  • 4 T olive oil
  • 1 medium size onion (chopped)
  • 1 carrots (peal & chop into ¼ inch slices)
  • 1 potato (peeled & cut into small chunks)
  • 1 T of tomato paste, tomato sauce or whole fresh tomato
  • 1 T of red wine vinegar (totally optional)
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Pepper (to taste)

Directions:

1. Put the lentils in a pot & cover with cold water (lentils "grow" so be generous; you can also add more water as they cook); add the bay leaf, a clove or two of garlic, the salt pork, ½ the paprika. Bring to boil, lower the heat to a high simmer & cover partially (some of the steam should escape); cook for ~ 1 hour.

2. Heat the oil in a frying pan; add the onion & sauté for a few minutes. Add the carrot, remaining garlic & cook for 5 more minutes. Now add the tomato paste, cook for another 5 minutes & add the sweet pimentón.

3. Add the sautéed vegetables to the lentils, the chopped potato, salt and pepper. **Add more water if the lentils look dry. Cook another ½ hour.

4. Before serving taste for salt & pepper; add the vinegar.

TIP: If you eat the lentils the day after they might be a little thick & dry; boil ½ cup of water & add to the lentils. Warm for a couple of minutes.

TIP: If you have any leftovers (I seriously doubt that!), puree the lentils & add a few spoonfuls of stock or milk. YUM!

More of My Spanish Recipes

Keywords: Soup, Vegetarian, Spanish/Portugese, Appetizer, Beans, Main Dish, Lunch, Easy, Dinner

( RG548 )