• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuzu Custard Tart

Michael Laiskonis

Yuzu Custard Tart

I've been doing a free form yuzu curd tart for some time. Yuzu is a citrus fruit of Japanese origin, found often in savory cooking (sashimi dishes and nuevo/fusion ceviche, for instance), and with an exotic, aromatic flavor that I've come to describe as a marriage of apricot and lime. The fresh fruit is difficult to find, and quite expensive. We source a bottled juice that is really nice, unlike most bottled lemon and lime juices I've tasted.

The curd is produced in the classic proportion and conventional manner, the acidity of the yuzu softened with a bit of orange juice. I, however, prefer to emulsify the butter after cooking the base, which will provide a smoother, creamier texture and allow the sweet flavor of the butter to come through.

For the "tart" described below, the curd is fortified with gelatin, then cooled and lightened with whipped cream. This is set into ring molds with a sablée breton base, then sprayed with white chocolate with the addition of subtle pink and orange accents. On the menu, it is plated with a muscat-ginger caramel, kumquat confit, and a tangerine/clementine sorbet with a 'creamy' mouthfeel due to the addition of milk powder

• 4 whole eggs
  • 340 g granulated sugar
  • 120 g yuzu juice
  • 50 g orange juice
  • zest of two lemons
  • zest of two oranges
  • 6 g sheet gelatin
  • 20 g water
  • 170 g unsalted butter, softened
  • 160 g heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks

1. In a heavy, non reactive saucepan, whisk together eggs and sugar, then add yuzu and orange juices, along with zest.

2. On medium heat, bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, as it will easily scorch on the bottom. Bloom gelatin in water.

3. When mixture boils and is quite thick, remove from heat and add gelatin. Allow to cool briefly and emulsify the butter into the yuzu custard in small amounts. Strain through a chinois and gently chill in an ice water bath.

4. Once cooled but not yet set, fold into whipped cream and portion into tart rings, set onto an acetate lined sheet pan. Top each tart with a 55mm disk of sablée breton. Freeze.

5. Invert and unmold tarts and spray with white chocolate, followed by light accents of pink and orange. Return to freezer. Allow to temper under refrigeration for one hour prior to serving.

Keywords: Dessert, Tart

( RG536 )

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com