• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ground Round

Marlene

Ground Round

This recipe is deceptive. Upon first glance, it really looks like a giant hamburger patty, fried. Well it is sort of. The sauce makes it though, and be warned, this is not a dish for those on a fat free diet!

• 2 lb ground sirlion
  • 6 T butter
  • 1 pkg powdered beef boullion
  • 1/2 c dry red wine
  • cornstarch or thickening agent of some sort
  • fresh ground pepper

Shape sirloin into large patty. Grind fresh pepper over it, cover and refidgerate for at least 4 hours. This will help keep it from falling apart when cooking.

Melt three tablespoons of the butter in a cast iron frying pan. Heat pan to high and sear patty on each side for two minutes.

Reduce heat to low, and cook for 15-20 minutes per side.

Remove patty to plate and keep warm.

In cast iron pan, add the other three tablespoons of butter, the red wine and the powdered boullion.

Stir over med-high heat until liquid reduces somewhat. If you want a thicker sauce, use a little cornstarch and water or other thickening agent.

Pour some of the sauce over patty, serve the rest of the sauce on the side.

Serve with baked potatoes or rice and tossed green salad and fresh bread.

Keywords: Beef

( RG534 )

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.