• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suvir Saran

HUMMUS

This is my version of a recipe given to me by my good friend Mary Ann who makes the very best hummus I’ve ever tasted. If the oil in the tahini has separated (you’ll see it floating on the top), put it into a blender and blend until smooth.

• 2 15 1/2 ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 garlic clove pounded into a paste with 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 c tahini
  • Juice of 2 lemons, or more, to taste, plus 1 tablespoon, for garnish
  • 1/4 c cold water, or more, as needed
  • 3/4 tsp toasted, ground cumin
  • 2 T olive oil, for garnish
  • 2 T finely chopped parsley, for garnish

1. Place the chick peas, tahimi, the juice of 2 lemons, 1/4 cup water and the cumin into a food processor and blend to a thick, grainy consistency. (Do not overprocess; what makes a hummus taste nice is the coarse texture; a mousse-like hummus does not have the same taste). Add more cold water if the hummus is too thick and more lemon juice, if you like.

2. Scrape out onto the serving plate. Drizzle with the olive oil and then with the lemon juice, and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve with warm toasted pita bread or fresh vegetables.

Keywords: Hors d'oeuvre, Dip, Vegetarian, Middle Eastern

( RG521 )

• Like 1