• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramel Sauce

Marlene

Caramel Sauce

This recipe is from Really Nice!

• 1 c sugar
  • 1/2 c butter (1 stick)
  • 1/4 c water
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

In a large saucepan add sugar, butter, water and salt. Cook about 10 minutes; stirring constantly to prevent burning. You want the mixture to start turning a light brown. When this happens remove mixture from heat, add vanilla and stir. Careful, it will bubble up.

Allow to cool to near room temperature for it to thicken up.

Keywords: Dessert, Sauce

( RG514 )

• Like 1

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 13 years later...

I see that this topic fell into the nether regions but here I am, novice caramel sauce maker, having tried two recipes which DH, caramel sauce lover, is not fussy about .   I'm not fussy about caramel sauce period. 

So my next step is to try the Really Nice recipe posted by Marlene.  Marlene, did the sauce work out for you?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

I see that this topic fell into the nether regions but here I am, novice caramel sauce maker, having tried two recipes which DH, caramel sauce lover, is not fussy about .   I'm not fussy about caramel sauce period. 

So my next step is to try the Really Nice recipe posted by Marlene.  Marlene, did the sauce work out for you?

Marlene has not been on site since March 2015 so you might want to give it a try rather than wait for a response. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Seems a bit strange to me to caramelize the sugar with butter but I can't claim to have actually tried it. Maybe it gives it a bit of a brown butter flavor?

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've seen plenty of oil&sugar caramels, but I would also prefer to add the butter after the sugar is caramelized. I guess the key is in "you want the mixture to start turning a light brown. When this happens remove mixture from heat".

~ Shai N.

I'm not sure if this is the same recipe I've done, but it is certainly similar.  It works.  Even the hard crack temperature of sugar (310) is below the smoke point of butter, so no burning.  Just the addition of browned butter taste which seems to me to be a feature of all caramels.

Another version adds chocolate to make a hot fudge sauce for ice cream (the coveted Sander's Hot Fudge for any old Detroiters among us).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(Had no internet from June 6 until yesterday)

Finally found a recipe which I can handle...that is I don't screw it up every second time and can't figure out why...and which DH says: yes, this one is satisfactory.  Salted Caramel Sauce from Lick Your Plate.   I'd give the site but I can't find it online.  I know that's where I found it.  It's simple. It's only sugar, butter, cream and salt. I don't ruin it every second time.  All is good.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/23/2016 at 11:37 AM, Darienne said:

Finally found a recipe which I can handle.

I too had tried lots of caramel recipes with varying degrees of success until I found one that I make in the microwave. It doesn't have that deep caramel flavor that a lot of people like but it is rich, delicious, and easy. If you would like to have it, send me a PM and I will give you the recipe.

Tropical Senior...going back I seem to recall that name in Costa Rica...I would love your recipe.  

In the meantime, going back one and a half years, I finally had settled on "Creamy Caramel Sauce" by David Lebovitz in The Perfect Scoop.  But I'm all for a recipe which is less work.  

Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.