• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baby Back Ribs

Jaymes

Baby Back Ribs

I do start them in the oven -- especially in the summer when it's 100 degrees, I don't like standing out there sweating over the ribs. Sometimes I even cook them in the oven a day or two before, so I have more time to sit around swilling Sangria with my guests. And, I don't have a hot oven heating up my kitchen during the party.

Night before: remove membrane from ribs (very important and many people - often even restaurants - skip this step).

For one rack of ribs, marinate overnight in mixture of:

• 2 c apple cider
  • 1/2 c bottled Teriyaki sauce
  • 1/4 c brown sugar

Bake ribs slowly in 250 degree oven, basting frequently.

Pretty darn good that way but for BBQ ribs, finish off on outdoor grill. (Can add flavorful woodchips of some kind to coals if using gas grill.)

Can baste with some sort of traditional BBQ sauce last few minutes of grilling to caramelize sauce, or just serve as is with sauce on side.

(Note - True BBQ rib aficionados never cook their ribs to "falling off the bone" tender. They believe that doing so reduces the texture of the meat to mush. In fact, doing that at BBQ cookoffs will get you jeered at - and disqualified - the theory being that any fool can overcook meat beyond recognition. All that is required in order to do that is time and inattention. On the other hand, getting the meat "just right" demands the ability and attentiveness of a skilled pitmaster. The texture of the meat, they believe, should be discernible as being meat - tender and juicy, granted, but still attached to the bone, offering give, but slight resistance.)

Keywords: Main Dish, Pork

( RG510 )

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.