• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So Simple Spaghetti With Clam Sauce

ditsydine

So Simple Spaghetti With Clam Sauce

Serves 4 as Main Dish.

This is one of those easy recipes that can make you look like a fab cook in less than ten minutes. In memory of mother this mother's day, I decided to whip up this pantry staple that was passed on to her from her mother, and on to me.

Note: I am certain this would be amazing with fresh clams, but then, well it wouldn't be easy. Being single, and apt to having food go bad before I eat it, I have used a few convience items that can be replaced by the real deal. Lastly, its so flexible. Tweak it to your delight.

Lastly, the main secret is to put a couple of spoonfulls of the water the pasta cooked in, into the sauce before pouring over the pasta.

• 1 bunch fresh parsley
  • T red pepper flakes
  • good extra virgin olive oil
  • minced garlic (i use the pre-chopped, but of course fresh is better)
  • 1 small can minced clams
  • lb spaghetti or angel hair pasta

Chop about 1/2 bunch of parsley. I don't use the stems.

While pasta is cooking, brown garlic (at least two tablespoons, but this is at your discretion) in as many glugs of good olive oil to cover the bottom of a large saute pan, on high heat brown the garlic until it starts to turn golden, empty in can of clams including juice (i find a small can is plenty, but play around with larger quantities, but probably not a whole lot of the clam juice if you use the larger can), add red pepper (note I do not measure so once again, put as much to your liking).

This sauce will reduce pretty quickly, so lower the heat to low. Before draining the pasta put in a couple of tablespoons of the pasta water into the sauce and stir.

Drain pasta and place in a large bowl.

Dump sauce on pasta and mix in. Add chopped parsley and mix in. Mix well because the clams like to fall to the bottom of the bowl.

Serve with parmesean or romano cheese if you like, its great without it. Bread and pasta, some vino and you're set

enjoy!

Keywords: Pasta, Main Dish, Seafood, Easy, Dinner, Italian

( RG483 )

-----------------

AMUSE ME