• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Velvet Cake

Jaymes

Red Velvet Cake

It does use a large amount of oil - 2 cups, but it sure ain't "dry." Red Velvet Cake was very popular back in the late 60's & 70's and there were frequently "Red Velvet Cake cookoffs." This recipe won the blue ribbon at several state fairs.

• 2-1/2 c sifted cake flour
  • 2 c sugar
  • 1 c buttermilk
  • 1 tsp soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 T cocoa
  • 1 T white vinegar
  • 1 oz red food color
  • 2 C vegetable oil - regular "buttery flavor" is good but, if you can't find it, use 1 Cup Orville Redenbacher Buttery Flavor Oil for Popcorn (available in the popcorn section at the store) and 1 cup regular vegetable oil to make a total of 2C oil

Cream cheese frosting:

• 1 stick butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 8-oz pkg cream cheese
  • 1 16-oz bag powdered sugar
  • dash salt
  • 1 c chopped pecans

Cake

Combine all ingredients; mix well and pour into 1 large or two small buttered and floured cake pans. Bake 300º for about 40 minutes, or until done

Frosting

Cream well, then frost well-cooled cake. 

Keywords: Dessert, Cake

( RG466 )

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 16 years later...

Recently received another request for this. Thanks to Smithy for retrieving it from those old files!

But after some comments that this recipe isn't "chocolatety" enough, I do want to add a very strong caveat:

Do not add additional chocolate to this recipe. 

If you want a chocolate cake, then make a chocolate cake!

If you want a Red Velvet Cake, then make a Red Velvet Cake!

A Red Velvet Cake is NOT a chocolate cake. It's a tangy cake made with vinegar and buttermilk. A very little chocolate is added to give it a rich undertone. Chocolate is a strong flavor. When you add more cocoa powder to the amount called for (which is minimal in the best Red Velvet recipes), you don't create a delicious chocolate cake. You simply ruin the Red Velvet Cake by overpowering the tang of the vinegar and buttermilk. 

I repeat. If you want a chocolate cake, make a chocolate cake. 

Which a Red Velvet Cake is not.

😁

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.