• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

Recently received another request for this. Thanks to Smithy for retrieving it from those old files!

But after some comments that this recipe isn't "chocolatety" enough, I do want to add a very strong caveat:

Do not add additional chocolate to this recipe. 

If you want a chocolate cake, then make a chocolate cake!

If you want a Red Velvet Cake, then make a Red Velvet Cake!

A Red Velvet Cake is NOT a chocolate cake. It's a tangy cake made with vinegar and buttermilk. A very little chocolate is added to give it a rich undertone. Chocolate is a strong flavor. When you add more cocoa powder to the amount called for (which is minimal in the best Red Velvet recipes), you don't create a delicious chocolate cake. You simply ruin the Red Velvet Cake by overpowering the tang of the vinegar and buttermilk. 

I repeat. If you want a chocolate cake, make a chocolate cake. 

Which a Red Velvet Cake is not.

😁

Jaymes

Jaymes

Recently received another request for this. Thanks to Smithy for retrieving it from those old files!

But after some comments that this recipe isn't "chocolatety" enough, I do want to add a very strong caveat:

If you want a Red Velvet Cake, make a Red Velvet Cake!

A Red Velvet Cake is NOT a chocolate cake. It's a tangy cake made with vinegar and buttermilk. A very little chocolate is added to give it a rich undertone. Chocolate is a strong flavor. When you add more cocoa powder to the amount called for (which is minimal in the best Red Velvet recipes), you don't create a delicious chocolate cake. You simply ruin the Red Velvet Cake by overpowering the tang of the vinegar and buttermilk. 

😁

Jaymes

Jaymes

A Red Velvet Cake is NOT a chocolate cake. It's a tangy cake made with vinegar and buttermilk. A very little chocolate is added to give it a rich undertone. 

😁

Jaymes

Jaymes

I do want to add a very strong caveat:

A Red Velvet Cake is NOT a chocolate cake. It's a tangy cake made with vinegar and buttermilk. A very little chocolate is added to give it a rich undertone. 

😁