• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extra-chocolatey brownies

Katherine

Extra-chocolatey brownies

• 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 4 oz butter
  • 1-1/2 c sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 c all-purpose flour
  • chopped or broken nuts (optional)
  • chocolate chips (optional)

Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave at 50%. Stir in the sugar, then the eggs, the vanilla, the salt and the flour. Add as much nuts and chocolate chips as you like. Scrape into an 8x8 to 9x13 (depending on how thin and crusty you want them) baking dish lined with a piece of parchment that overhangs. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until firm around the edges and beginning to congeal in the center, but still soft. (Begin checking at 25 minutes.) When completely cold, lift by the paper from the dish onto a cutting board, and cut with a French knife.

Variation

I have always been a person who favors the 'filet' over the crusty exterior pieces. I discovered when I had no working oven for an extended period of time that you can steam brownies (works best with no nuts or chips). When they are cold, they can be cut into small pieces (they are very rich, rivalling the best flourless chocolate cake) and plated with ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, raspberry coulis, etc

Keywords: Dessert, Brownies/Bars

( RG442 )