• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Sea Bass with Prosciutto, Apples and a Honey Wine Glaze

lukepiatt

Baked Sea Bass with Prosciutto, Apples and a Honey Wine Glaze

Serves 4 as Main Dish.

This is something i came up with when i went in to work one afternoon. I needed to make a special up really fast and there were some left over apples that needed using. I guess u could call this my take of the classic dish monkfish with proscuttio. One thing i would like you to remember with this recipe is that food is an art and recipies are only guidlines do not be afraid to break their barriers. This recipe plays off the opposing flavors of the proscuttio against the sweetness of the apple.Do not be afraid to substitute ingredients or change methods to make a dish that is truely yours. I am a new chef or should say trying hard to become a chef and would greatly appreciate if u would be critic of this recipe.

• 4 oz seabass or halibut
  • 4 oz prosciutto sliced paper thin
  • 1 sweet apple,sliced into thin wedges ie.mcintosh, gala, cortland
  • 1/4 c fruity red wine- ie.
  • 1/8 c honey
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 T fine herb mixture optional
  • 3 T oil for cooking ie. canola or olive oil mixture

PREP FISH-

-butcher fish into 9 oz portions ( I would recomend removing skin and using the non-skin side as your presentation side)

-season fish with salt and pepper( in the restaurant i also like to season my fish with a fresh herb mixture of, which gives the fish a little extra flavor and some color.

fine herb recipe

- parsley 2 tbsp

- tarragon 1 tbsp

- dill 1 tbsp

- chives 1 tbsp

- chop all herbs very fine and mix together

PREP APPLE

-slice the flesh of the apple off the core and slice in to 1/8-1/4 in. wedges ( you want to end up with apple slices that you can stack into a fan shape on top of the fish so keep them thin(

-place apples in acidic water-this will keep them from browning untill further use ( acidic water- 1 c. water 1 tbsp lemon juice)

PREP PROSCUTTIO

-slice four slices of proscuttio paper thin

-cut slices in half length wise( in general proscuttio comes about 2-3 inches wide and what Im looking in this recipe is a strip about 6 in. long and 1 in. wide so it will look like a bow around the fish and apples

PREP GLAZE

-mix honey and wine together untill honey is all incorparated- pinot noir or merlot are good wines to use( the reason I added the glaze to this recipe was that i was afraid the apples and proscuttio would dry out to much in the high heat of the oven, and it seemed to work. I did not cook the glaze down in this recipe, because i started a half an hour before service and was restrained on the time i could put into it. So i will definately be experimenting with cooking the glaze or not

COOKING METHOD

-heat oven to 400 degrees

-heat large saute pan with 3 tbsp of oil till almost smoking

-pan sear off presentation side until golden brown

-remove from pan and place on baking sheet presentation side up

-place apples on top of fish in a fanned pattern

-wrap fish and apples with slice of proscuttio - proscuttio should be narrow enogh so that apples show

-baste fish and bake for 5-7 minutes ( basting a couple of times in oven)

Keywords: Main Dish, Fish, Seafood, Easy

( RG425 )