• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramel Popcorn

Jaymes

Caramel Popcorn

I use an air popper. This stuff is NEVER around long enough for me to worry about it going stale. I can tell no difference in the final result of this recipe between air-popped and regular oil-popped [although I've never done a side-by-side taste test]. Also, in a pinch - like when I'm in a hurry or the popper is broken - I have made it with those big bags of pre-popped corn that you can buy in supermarkets. I don't think it's quite as good, but darn close and is still promptly and enthusiastically all eaten. The only caveat is that the already-popped stuff is also already salted, so if you use it, be sure to reduce the amount of salt in the recipe.)

• 6 qt popped corn
  • 1 c butter
  • 2 T molasses (or 100% maple syrup, but I like molasses better)
  • 1/2 c light corn syrup
  • 2 c light brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt (see above)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1-1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 large pkg pecan halves (or cashews, or peanuts or any nut you like

In heavy saucepan, over low heat, bring to boil the

butter, molasses (or 100% maple syrup, but I like molasses better,light corn syrup, light brown sugar

salt (see above).

Allow to boil for five minutes. Then, remove from heat and add:

baking soda, vanilla, pecan halves (or cashews, or peanuts or any nut you like - sometimes I use mixed nuts and it's wonderful)

Stir well to combine.

In a LARGE shallow pan (I actually got one of those gargantuan, wide stainless steel mixing bowls specifically in order to make this recipe) pour the hot syrup mixture over the corn and stir to coat as well as you can. Don't worry about covering every bit of corn perfectly because you're going to have lots more opportunities.

Bake at 250º for about an hour (more or less), watching to see when the corn is well-covered and is a nice golden color. Stir well every ten minutes for the first half-hour, then every fifteen minutes."

Pour out onto large sheet of waxed paper and allow to cool. Break into pieces and store tightly covered.

You can add anything to this that suits your fancy, like rum, or cinnamon, or chili powder.

I cannot possibly tell you how much I enjoy making this, or how much fun people seem to have eating it!!

Keywords: Snack

( RG381 )

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.