• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelob Ultra

tommy

• 2 months later...

I had some in Alabama a couple of months ago. I had no idea it was a low-carb beer at the time I placed the order. The waiter was rattling off some choices and at the end said, "And we have the new Michelob Ultra." So I tried it. Really bad -- exactly as described above. It's bad even if you define regular Michelob as good.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

For some reason, their ad campaign is full of people engaging in healthy, outdoors activities - rather than face down in a keg somewhere.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

For some reason, their ad campaign is full of people engaging in healthy, outdoors activities - rather than face down in a keg somewhere.

I think that the lower carbohydrates may mean lower alcohol content. Another reason not to bother with the stuff.

• 3 months later...

As someone who has lost 100 lbs over the last year or so, I do pretend to be on the Atkins diet, and have had an Ultra on occasion.

I can't say it's particularly good, but it does taste a bit like beer, and it does bring back memories of drinking beer while dieting.

And to answer a question from above: when you are limiting your carbohydrates to 30 or so per day, even having 1 regular beer can add up to almost 50% of your daily carb intake. 2.6 carbs can be forgiven.

BUT.... I have to say that I find their commercials to be the funniest I have ever seen. After seeing people playing basketball, cycling, and rock climbing, one might think they were marketing Gatorade and not beer. One of these days someone is going to drink a 6 pack of the stuff, go rock climbing and fall, and sue them for every keg, case, and 6 pack they own....

And to answer a question from above:  when you are limiting your carbohydrates to 30 or so per day, even having 1 regular beer can add up to almost 50% of your daily carb intake.  2.6 carbs can be forgiven.

i was under the impression that some "regular" light beers have only about 5 grams of carbs. if that's the case, i can't see why anyone would drink that stuff. i'd gladly have 1/2 as many corona lights instead.

here's one persons math.

and, i see that i haven't posted on this thread: i tried this stuff and it's virtually tasteless. this is coming from a guy who can quite often be found drinking coors light and bud.

Edited by tommy (log)

At the restaurant where I wait tables, ever since we've started offering Mich ultra it's been a very popular choice. I haven't tried it..... but I have to say I'm a little confused. Why do people order, like, huge meat and cheese and sour cream laden nachos, and then drink Mich ultra? If you're on an actual diet, and want to have a couple beers, then choices like Mich ultra are just fine.... but why try to save a few carbs on a diet beer while you're mounching on a carb/fat fest?

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Why do people order, like, huge meat and cheese and sour cream laden nachos, and then drink Mich ultra?

because every little bit helps?

because they're used to drinking it?

because they like it?

meat and cheese and sour cream don't have too many carbs, do they?

because every little bit helps?

I guess...

fritz, i think it's a similar situation with diet soda. people snear when others order a big mac and a diet coke. there has been some discussion on that here and, as i recall, i was right. :biggrin:

Yes! I drive every day under a billboard showing a hard-bodied woman doing situps. Next thing you know they'll toss some caffeine in that bad boy, or vitamins.

Agreed also that it is virtually tasteless. When I must drink it (IE, at a dieting friend's), I put a small slice of lemon in there. Might be sacrilege, but it gives it at least SOME flavor....

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

C'mon.  Don't you like beer-flavored water?

Um, most American beer tastes like beer flavoured water. Canadian beer, on the other hand does not :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

fritz, i think it's a similar situation with diet soda.  people snear when others order a big mac and a diet coke.  there has been some discussion on that here and, as i recall, i was right.  :biggrin:

:smile: Definitely don't wanna argue with you there.

I have no problem with people drinking (and eating) whatever the hell they want. I will drink light beers, and I'll eat a lot of "nasty" stuff too. Could you, however, point me in the direction of the diet coke/big mac thread (or threads)? I'm interested.....

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Hi y'all.

Sorry, in all honesty, it is all rubbish. It is marketing at its finest. :blink:

In terms of calories the alcohol is more to blame than the carbs. 1g of carb contains 4 calories whereas 1g of alcohol contains just over 7. However, the body cannot store alcohol so it is broken down and expelled from the body at a steady rate (how breathalizers work). The source of the alcohol (grain, molasses etc) does not effect the carb or calorie content once it has turned to alcohol.

"In addition to the calories, alcohol interferes with fat burning, something important for weight loss. Normally, the liver metabolizes fats, but when a person drinks, alcohol takes preference. The liver breaks down alcohol for energy first, causing a build-up of fatty acids. What this means is that the body uses the calories supplied from alcohol before it is able to expend the calories from fat. This characteristic is referred to as "fat sparing," meaning alcohol's presence spares the fat from being utilized for energy. Alcohol also stimulates appetite in many people. This may thwart your weight loss efforts even more."

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2253.html

It was a clever angle for those at Michelob to boost their market presence for all of those carbo minded potential consumers.

(edited to correct url typos !!!)

Edited by beans (log)

Every day on the train, I see that billboard of the woman doing push-ups and staring at herself in the mirror.

If I ever did push-ups, I'd be thinking about beer, too.

P.S. Fritz: age before beauty, goat cheese. :laugh:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Surprisingly, Ales and Stouts have around 5 - 8 carbs? So, drinking Ultra is not the way to go. Although years of lite type beer drinking will allow it when I happen to low carb. But then, Milwaukee has a light beer that is low in carbs and tastes better than the Michelob product.

Ok, let's take these one at a time.

First, there are definitely times when I would rather have a corona Amstel light at 5 carbs than a couple of Mich Ultras at 2.6. But there are times when I might want to drink more and sacrifice taste. Sometimes 4 Mich Ultras are better than 2 Amstels. This is especially true when in a social setting for several hours and having 1 or 2 drinks may not cut the mustard.

Moving on to alcohol and fat, beans is correct that alcohol is expelled from the body first. In fact, those who are on the Atkins diet and are in ketosis will have that condition 'paused' by the consumption of alcohol. The good news is that when the alcohol is burned off, the body returns to its previous ketogenic state.

But there are times when I might want to drink more and sacrifice taste.  Sometimes 4 Mich Ultras are better than 2 Amstels.  This is especially true when in a social setting for several hours and having 1 or 2 drinks may not cut the mustard.

dude, you're talking about 12 extra grams of carbs over a "several hours." :blink: have yourself the coronas and skip the pigs-in-a-blanket. :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)