• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butterflied Leg of Lamb

Jaymes

Butterflied Leg of Lamb

This has been an enormous favorite, and constant dinner guest pleaser in my home for a very long time.

This is an excellent choice for a small dinner party, but I suggest you tell no one you're serving lamb until they're all at the table discussing how delicious it is and arguing over whether it's beef or pork or exactly what.

That's the best time to announce that it is, indeed...tahDAH...lamb! (adding smugly, "and YOU said you didn't like lamb!")

• 3 to 4 lb. leg of lamb
  • several cloves fresh garlic
  • handful fresh rosemary
  • 2 bay leaves (preferably fresh)
  • zest from one lemon
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp Beau Monde seasoning, or favorite seasoned salt or other all-purpose seasoning
  • 1/4 c chopped parsley
  • 1/2 c olive oil
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • 1/4 c dry sherry

Bone and butterfly leg of lamb (I have butcher do this). Cut off any gristly pieces, and as much of the fell and excess fat as you care to remove. Poke holes at 3-4" intervals across both sides of lamb. Into each hole shove a sliver of garlic, two or three leaves of rosemary, a piece of cracked bay leaf (if you're using fresh - if you're using dried, just add a few to the marinade).

Combine lemon zest, parsley, oregano and all-purpose seasoning. Rub well into lamb. Place studded, seasoned leg of lamb into heavy plastic bag. Combine olive oil, soy sauce, sherry and pour into bag. Marinate in fridge overnight, turning occasionally.

Barbecue or broil, fat side up initially, turning once. Cook fat side up for about 30 minutes (or so, depending on thickness of meat), then turn and broil for 10-15 minutes (or to desired doneness).

Keywords: Main Dish, Lamb, Dinner, Grill

( RG342 )

• Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 16 years later...

Just looking for this recipe. Glad to have found it again. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I just went through the "I hate lamb!!" drama again, followed by the discovery that the protestor doesn't really hate lamb. Thanks for another delicious treatment!

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...

Consider also lamb's affinity for anchovy.     While basically following Jaymes' marinade, I usually add a couple of shmooshed anchovy.    I also use this basic combo to smear over a butterflied leg then roll and tie for either roasting or rotis grilling.

Note, I do not like preserved anchovy yet find their inclusion in lamb seasoning quite delicious. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

• 2 years later...
On 5/25/2019 at 1:32 AM, heidih said:

often it is the lamb fat that drives peeps away. The meat itself as in a grilled butterflied leg is quite different.  Congrats

Great idea!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Lamb that tastes like rubber has been mistreated.

we used to get free range grass fed lamb and you even cut the shoulder chops with a fork it was that tender.

welcome to Egullet by the way.