• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Really, really large format bottles

baphie

I have had wine from magnums numerous times and wine from double magnums on a couple of occasions, but nothing larger.

Has anyone here actually had wine from a balthazar, jeroboam or nebuchadnezzar? Is there a noticable difference (ie if one tasted the same vintage in a 750 vs the mega-bottle)? What are the logistics of pouring this- is it like a team or pallbearer or or a siphon?

A.

Not just the pouring, what about icing it down?  Do they make giant ice buckets for this?

you put it in the bathtub, next to the case of piels cans.

If you "got" gin, you'd be making it in the bathtub. BTW, do you bathe?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Only once: I recall (somewhat dimly, given it was a pretty bibulous occasion) drinking from a nebuchadnezzar of Champagne a long time ago, with a restaurant owner who had a special bottle cradle of the correct size, along with the contraption (looks like a set of tongs) to get the cork out safely. Not much spillage. EXCELLENT Champagne. I wish, now, that I could remember the precise maker and year, though.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004