• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bastide

lizziee

• 1 year later...

bump ...

So, it has been at least 16 months. Mind you, I finally got some new information about Bastide.

Bastide has re-opened within the last two months or so at its same location, same owner Joe Pytka and new chef Walter Manzke (formerly of Patina). And I ate there last night.

The seven-course dinner was really good (minus one). The service was excellent. Bastide should at least be nominated for a Beard award for "Best New Restaurant." I'll have a full report with photos soon.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I, the solo diner, had a reservation for Bastide Friday night. Here are a few photos from that evening ...

gallery_24802_5332_96127.jpg

Table setting (blurred)

gallery_24802_5332_56321.jpg

Forest Room, onto the Chimney Room

I was seated in the Forest Room, between the Chimney Room and the Chef’s Table Room.

gallery_24802_5332_98089.jpg

Chairman Mao

Along the wall is a series of Chairman Mao pictures. In each picture, Mao is standing on a different style chair. Makes for interesting conversation, ehh??

gallery_24802_5332_25562.jpg

Deconstructed lobster taco

I was instructed to eat the tortilla chip, drink the shot of tomato juice, eat the lobster on the long-handled spoon, and finally drink the tequila.

gallery_24802_5332_34903.jpg

bread

gallery_24802_5332_660.jpg

Amuse I: Sliced octopus with Vietnamese sauce

Not bad. Definitely not rubbery.

gallery_24802_5332_63220.jpg

Amuse II: Sushi tray; Sea urchin parfait with a flavored gel, topped with a tuna tartare

The server mentioned that the sushi chef was hired today, direct from Japan. I didn’t get his name or his bio. BTW, that sea urchin parfait tasted very good ...

gallery_24802_5332_37820.jpg

Amuse III divers scallops with potatoes

Fine. I always like scallops.

gallery_24802_5332_89076.jpg

bread

There were seven varieties of bread offered that evening. Now comes the second course.

gallery_24802_5332_17914.jpg

Thai curry soup with crab spring roll

That Thai curry soup was excellent. Shrimp, tapioca, curry broth, lemongrass, cilantro, a little spice, et al. ... Very nice complex flavors ...

gallery_24802_5332_38385.jpg

Turbot with artichokes (blurred)

Unfortunately, this course had a metallic taste to it. I’m suspecting that it might be the artichoke itself reacting with the other ingredients.

gallery_24802_5332_411.jpg

Vegetarian ravioli strip

Okay. I had a hard time figuring out the different flavored fillings in the ravioli, namely pumpkin, eggplant, ricotta, and I don’t remember the other one.

gallery_24802_5332_90364.jpg

gallery_24802_5332_33548.jpg

Short ribs, accompanied by a smoky-flavored salt (Dutch?)

The short ribs were nice and moist. I also tried it with a little bit of the smoky salt. A wonderful added dimension to the dish.

gallery_24802_5332_78288.jpg

Cheese course

gallery_24802_5332_25034.jpg

Panna cotta, tangerine granite, grapefruit sorbet

This dessert was a very good palate cleanser. The flavor combination made for a very refreshing taste.

gallery_24802_5332_30395.jpg

Chocolate fondant, green tea ice cream, coconut sabayon with a shot of warm chocolate milk

It worked! Chocolate, green tea, coconut. I was hesitant at first, but it worked!

gallery_24802_5332_8592.jpg

Chocolates: kumquat, caramel, hazelnut

gallery_24802_5332_37650.jpg

Earl grey tea with a small basket of madeleines

At first, I had my fears about the service, whether it was going to be too casual with the constant questioning one tends to find at a chain restaurant. As the evening progressed, I felt at ease with the interactive tendencies of the staff while they maintain their professionalism. Perhaps it’s me, but I felt free to be forthcoming about my courses, particularly the fish course. Mind you, not with a malicious intent, but rather an honest assessment of each dish.

Towards the end of the meal, before the cheese and dessert courses, I finally noticed something as the table was being cleared, there is no tablecloth. Furthermore, the tabletop is made of marble ... Does that explain why my photos look so bright, with no-flash photography??

I got to visit the kitchen and met with Chef Walter Manzke. He’s a very nice, quiet man. As I made my way to the patio outside, I noticed they setted up tables for outdoor service as well. I enjoyed my dinner at Bastide very much. Yes, even in spite of the fish course. The other courses, the service, the decor et al., Bastide is definitely one of the best new restaurants in Los Angeles. Yes, I would go back and eat at Bastide again.

Nice review as always Russell. I wasn't aware that there would be so much Asian influence at the new Bastide, very interesting, seems like such a totally different restaurant from its previous incarnations.

Where do you feel it ranks among LA's top tables? In time can it be right up there with the top ones or is it shooting for something less formal?

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Thank you for a phenomenal write-up! I've been curious.

Just a suggestion: if you want to avoid the blurring in your photos, use a makeshift tripod. Flip over your bread plate and rest your on that, or a bowl, over turned glass, etc. Then just tap the shutter button from the top as opposed to trying to keep your hands perfectly still, because it's impossible to achieve at such close proximity with digital photography.

hmm chowhound,,,,,,,, a little rough no,, is it just me or does it seem that chowhound posters love to complain about everything. Yes you sit down for a lengthy tasting menu, common sense would tell us that we are going to be there for a while, want to eat fast and guzzle your wine order the 3 course menu,, otherwise sit back relax enjoy your wine and company,,

• 1 month later...

I read that review this morning over a cup of coffee. I found the review to be interesting and the wine program sounds really exciting. I love anybody that would actually keep sediment from a bottle of 1978 Petrus on hand at the restaurant. Unfortunately our dance card is full through the end of 2007 so I don't think I'll make it until January or February.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

• 5 months later...
Bastide version 2.1

Has anyone been yet, since the latest chef change. If so how  was it.

DALI,

Bastide version 1.0: Alain Giraud

Bastide version 2.0: Ludovic "Ludo" Lefebvre

Bastide version 3.0: Walter Manzke

Bastide version 4.0: Paul Shoemaker

I'm planning to eat at Bastide soon, just out of curiousity, but mainly to support Chef Paul. Paul worked under Michael Cimarusti for many years at Providence and I think at Water Grill as well. We'll see what happens.

Wow, I didn't know Walter was gone. Anyone know what happened there? We enjoyed a pretty wonderful dinner under his watch (in late February).

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

sorry, i was going with:

Bastide version 1.0: Alain Giraud

Bastide version 1.1: Ludovic "Ludo" Lefebvre

Bastide version 2.0: Walter Manzke

Bastide version 2.1: Paul Shoemaker[

Edited by DALI (log)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
cant believe that no one has been yet.

Actually, I did eat at Bastide version 4.0, but I haven't posted yet.

I had the seven-course tasting menu. Overall, it tasted very good. It didn't "pushed the envelope," just very good solid food. Paul Shoemaker is a very good chef. At this point, Chef Paul is providing a stabilizing influence at Bastide. I want to try the restaurant again, sometime in the fall.

I hope to give some more details later, when I can find the menu Bastide gave me afterwards ...

• 4 months later...

A fellow eGullet member calls me this morning and delivers this news bomb from the Los Angeles Times : Joe Pytka closes Bastide, plans another revamp

Bastide has been shuttered again by its mercurial owner, commercial director Joe Pytka, who reportedly will give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on the future of his lauded West Hollywood restaurant to his staff today after returning from a trip to Scotland ....

"We were called into [Pytka's production] office and told that the restaurant's closed, that Joe wants to reconceive," said sommelier Pieter Verheyde, who has been at Bastide since 2007. "We were kind of surprised."

At the moment, I don't know what to say, except .... :shock::shock::shock:

• 1 month later...
any updates on the place?

As far as I know, Bastide is still closed. Sommelier Pieter Verheyde flew back to Belgium. As for the chefs:

Bastide chef #1 Alain Giraud has his own French brasserie called Anisette in Santa Monica.

Bastide chef #2 Ludovic Lefebvre has his place called Lavo at the Palazzo in Las Vegas.

Bastide chef #3 Walter Manzke is currently working at a bistro called Church & State in downtown Los Angeles.

Bastide chef #4 Paul Shoemaker is nowhere to be found at this time.

I hope this help, DALI.