• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grandma's frittata di zucchine

torakris

Grandma's frittata di zucchine

Serves 4 as Main Dishor 8 as Appetizer.

This is my Grandma's zucchini frittata, that I still look forward to eating when I visit her house and she never disappoints me.

• 3 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 T basil, chopped
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1-1/2 lb zucchini, thinly sliced in half circles
  • 6 large eggs
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 c grated romano(pecorino) cheese or parmigiano (about 2 ozs)

1. In a 12 inch heat 2 Tablespoons of EVOO over medium heat, add the onions and saute until wilted about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the basil just before taking off the heat. Pour into a colander and let drain.

2. In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a fork, add the cheese and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Add the drained zucchini and onion.

3.Heat the remaining tablespoon of EVOO in the skillet over medium heat, when it is hot add the egg mixture, using the fork to distribute it evenly. Lower the heat to low and cook until set 12-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and place a large dish on top of the skillet and invert, slide the upside down frittata back into the skillet and cook a couple of minutes longer. Invert one more time onto a dish to serve.

*Alternatively it can be placed under a broiler until just browned.

Can be eaten hot, but tastes better at room temperature and is even great the next day cold.

Keywords: Hors d'oeuvre, Vegetables, Main Dish, Italian, Vegetarian, Easy

( RG311 )

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"