• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Noodles In Sesame Sauce

=Mark

Cold Noodles In Sesame Sauce

Here is a great summer recipe that works well as an appetizer or a lite main course. It has been a smashing success whenever I have brought it as a covered dish. Everyone always remarks how spicy hot it is, and some even say they usually don't go for spicy food, but loved this anyway. If you follow the recipe exactly, it has a bare minimum of heat to qualify as chilehead-hot, but more pepper sauce could be added.

• 1 lb thin spaghetti
  • 1/2 c oriental sesame oil
  • 5 tsp sesame tahini
  • 2/3 c peanut butter
  • 3 T white vinegar
  • 5 T Szechuan Pepper Sauce (sriracha works fine here)
  • 2 fresh or dried red hot chiles minced (cayenne or red jalapeno)
  • 6 T sugar
  • 1 c chicken broth
  • 1 c soy sauce
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 large cucumber peeled seeded and julienned
  • 1 bunch scallions minced fine

Boil the noodles according to package direction, drain, and cool thoroughly under cold running water while still in the colander. Toss the now cool noodles with the sesame oil (you could use the pot you cooked them in for this provided you wash all the starchy remains out), cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours to let the sesame flavor absorb into the noodles. In a large bowl combine the tahini, peanut butter, vinegar, Pepper Sauce, chiles, sugar, chicken broth, soy sauce, and ground black pepper. Stir until smoothe. Add the cold noodles, toss well. Add the cucumber strips and minced scallions, toss well, and serve.

Keywords: Appetizer, Main Dish, Hot and Spicy

( RG282 )

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

• 15 years later...
55 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

I tend to go more towards THIS recipe. However, I like to use Japanese buckwheat noodles, they stand out better when cold.

Agreed about the buckwheat noodles.

On 03/04/2003 at 4:53 AM, =Mark said:

5 T Szechuan Pepper Sauce (sriracha works fine here)

I'm mystified about how Sriracha can be subbed for Sichuan Pepper sauce, though. They are nothing like each other.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm mystified about how Sriracha can be subbed for Sichuan Pepper sauce, though. They are nothing like each other.

Just a guess but maybe "works fine here" means "will still be tasty" and not "will be the same" just as an option to anyone who doesn't have Sichuan Pepper sauce available where they live.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

16 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Just a guess but maybe "works fine here" means "will still be tasty" and not "will be the same" just as an option to anyone who doesn't have Sichuan Pepper sauce available where they live.

Yeah, but if you are putting in 5 T Sriracha why also put in the chili peppers. I just find the whole recipe a bit weird.

I'm sure the recipe is good as it stands, but I also find it a bit odd. I rely on Sam Sifton's recipe in the NY Times, Takeout-Style Sesame Noodles.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

I'm sure the recipe is good as it stands, but I also find it a bit odd. I rely on Sam Sifton's recipe in the NY Times, Takeout-Style Sesame Noodles.

For those who don’t have access to the New York Times 

Click  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

For those who don’t have access to the New York Times 

Click  

Doesn't the Times allow ten free articles a month? It used to, anyway.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

Doesn't the Times allow ten free articles a month? It used to, anyway.

Those were the days before they put their cooking stuff behind a pay wall.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I find the inclusion of both peanut butter and sesame to be a little strange. For making Chinese dishes I find these following two products far more satisfying than plain peanut butter and middle eastern tahini:

One is Jade brand sichuan peanut sauce. It is a bit spicy, is halfway between a smooth and a chunky style and is extremely versatile. When it comes to sesame flavor in Chinese food I find that Chinese brands of sesame paste are better than tahini. The Jade brand sauces are available from most large markets that have a variety of ethnic condiments. Sesame paste is available at most Asian markets.

The NYT recipe for take out noodles benefits greatly from the use of these two substitutions. Personally I like to make either a peanut sauce sauce noodles or a sesame sauce noodles instead of combining both. But I do agree with Smitten Kitchen that thinning out the sauce is a good way to go. Use a little less gloppy peanut product or sesame product and up the soy, vinegar, chicken broth or whatever.  

59 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

But I do agree with Smitten Kitchen that thinning out the sauce is a good way to go.

Thanks muchly for mentioning Smitten Kitchen as a source of cold noodle recipes.  I love cold noodles and she has a number of recipes that are quite appealing and very easy.  

My 2004 eG Blog

Yum - love cold sesame noodles! Haven't tried this recipe though. 

Don't bother with tahini, it's the wrong flavour. If you can't find Chinese sesame paste, add some toasted sesame oil to the PB. Or toast some sesame seeds & grind it up yourself. I use both PB & sesame paste together. Splash of Chinese black vinegar instead of plain white. I also like a scoop of Lao Gan Ma crispy chili sauce in there. And if you can get it, minced salted pickled mustard vegetable (zha cai) - brings it to the next level!

Don't be afraid to thin that sauce out or make more sauce than you think you need. I find the noodles get a bit stodgy after awhile from sucking up all that sauce, especially if you're having leftovers for lunch the next day.

Oh yeeaaah...this is going on the menu rotation this week, we've got some summer-ish weather in the forecast! :wub::wub:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Yeah, but if you are putting in 5 T Sriracha why also put in the chili peppers.

Good question. I was only commenting on the substitution, not the recipe as a whole. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

Forgot to mention that I strongly object to the black pepper in the OPs recipe.

Yes, that was one of the things I picked up on first. And the insistence on "oriental" sesame oil, but then using tahini! I like tahini a lot, but it ain't Asian style sesame paste. I can just about forgive the spaghetti!

I'm not a stickler for so-called "authenticity", but...

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1