• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piquant Salmon Rolls

=Mark

Piquant Salmon Rolls

• 8 oz cream cheese
  • 1/4 c walnuts or pecans, chopped
  • 1/4 c green onion, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne (or more, to taste. For Chilehead events I’ve used dried habanero powder)
  • 1 stalk celery chopped
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 8 oz (3/4" by 2") thin slices smoked salmon
  • thin sliced cucumber
  • freshly ground pepper
  • your favorite crackers (I use Wheatsworth)
  • fresh dill sprigs
  • hot sauce *

1.In a bowl, soften cream cheese and stir in chives, green onion walnuts and celery.

2. Add lemon juice and spices and mix well.

3. Spread mixture on salmon slices and season with pepper, roll up to form neat rolls

4. Place a cucumber slice on each cracker and place a sprig of dill and a salmon roll on each cucumber.

5. Drizzle with remaining lemon juice and garnish with chives if desired.

* To add some more heat you can add a couple drops of habanero sauce to the top of the cucumber during assembly. The sauce I use has cloves and honey which seem to compliment the flavor of the salmon. You might want to play around with the seasonings.

salmon rolls may be prepared several hours in advance, and assembled just before serving to prevent the cracker from getting soggy.

Keywords: Fish, American, Appetizer, Hors d'oeuvre, Seafood, Hot and Spicy, eGCI

( RG256 )

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak