• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pico de Gallo con Aguacate

Jaymes

Pico de Gallo con Aguacate

Pico de Gallo ('peeko day guy-yo') means 'beak of the rooster,' for some reason. Been told it's because it's chopped up, like chicken feed and you pick at it - but who knows.

It is an excellent and very typical Mexican relish/condiment. In the U.S. and in Mexico along the U.S. border, the name "Pico de Gallo" connotes a relish with the main ingredients of tomatoes, onions, chiles, salt, lemon juice and oil, cilantro, etc., that kind of thing - but in most of Mexico, that particular combination is more commonly called "Salsa Cruda."

Elsewhere in Mexico, "Pico de Gallo" can mean any combination of fresh, crunchy, primarily raw (sometimes chipotle peppers are used, which are smoked) garnish or snack. As a guest in Mexican homes, I've had some wonderful and very interesting picos that were made with various types of chiles, jicama, onions, pineapple, citrus juices, mint leaves, cucumber, crushed red pepper, etc., among many other things.

A typical snack "Pico de Gallo" is cubed jicama, orange sections (fresh or canned), fresh lime juice, minced chiles (or dash of chile powder), chopped red onions, and salt. Allow to macerate in the fridge for 3-4 hours. This is served with toothpicks, with which you "peck" or pick out your choices, much like a rooster might. Do this a time or two and the name suddenly makes more sense.

The following recipe more closely resembles what you find in Northern Mexico, along the U.S. border -- and in fact, I got it from a favorite restaurant in a small border town. It's wonderful on top of a bowl of beans, or with your fajitas, hamburgers, carnitas, tacos, grilled meats - pretty-much anything. Tear off a little bit of meat, put it in a warm tortilla, add some pico and there you go.

• 1 large flavorful tomato (or 2 or 3 Romas), water removed, chopped
  • 1 small to medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 or more - to taste - jalepenos, or serranos, or other favorite peppers, seeded and minced
  • 1 avocado, not mushy, very coarsely chopped
  • 1 medium-sized lemon, rolled, or zapped in microwave to release juices
  • generous handful cilantro, chopped
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 tsp vinegar
  • celery salt to taste
  • dash garlic salt

In glass bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, onions, chile peppers, avocados, cilantro. Squeeze juice of 1 lemon over, and add a pretty-good splash of olive oil. Add 1 tsp vinegar. Season to taste with celery salt. Sprinkle a little garlic salt. Toss to blend.

Allow to sit in fridge a half/hour or so for flavors to meld, stirring occasionally.

Keywords: Appetizer, Condiment, Vegetarian, Dip, Easy, Mexican, Snack

( RG253 )

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.