• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cornbread with Grits

Toby

Cornbread with Grits

From the cornbread thread.

This is a completely over-the-top cornbread with grits and black or red pepper.

For the grits

• 1/4 c real (not instant) grits (either white or yellow)
  • 1 c half and half
  • a little minced garlic
  • black pepper and salt

For the cornbread batter

• 1 c cornmeal
  • 1 c flour
  • 1-1/2 T sugar
  • 1 T baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 3 T butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1-2/3 c mixture of buttermilk and creme fraiche
  • black pepper, red pepper flakes, or a mixture of both peppers

First, you slowly cook the grits in the half and half, with the minced garlic, black pepper and salt in a little covered pot for about 15 minutes, until they're done. Let cool.

Then, make a cornbread batter, sifting together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Melt the butter in either a cake pan or a cast iron pan in the oven. Beat the grits, egg and a the mixture of buttermilk and creme fraiche, together until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons of the melted butter to the grits and then mix quickly with the flour mixture. Pour into the cake or cast iron pan and sprinkle black pepper, red pepper flakes, or a mixture of both peppers over the top. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 35 minutes, until the top is set and the cornbread is coming away from the sides of the pan.

The cake pan gives a softer, more cakelike bread; the cast iron pan makes a very crusty bread with a very moist interior that doesn't seem to rise as much.

Keywords: Bread, American, Intermediate

( RG237 )

• Similar Content

• By cteavin
      I posted this on YouTube the other day and thought I'd post it here. Personally, when I make them for me I only use Erythritol (a sugar substitute) but depending on the friend sugar or a blend of the two. Unlike other zucchini brownies, these don't use egg white, so they're not cake-y, but dense and fudgy. 

Oh, and because I use whey protein, they're higher in protein and good for post-workout bite. 

Ingredients
      300 -400 grams zucchini 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute 1/2 cup cocoa 1-2 tablespoons flavoring (brandy, rum, vanilla, etc) 2 shots of espresso (or instant, 60ml/2oz) 2 egg yolks 1/2 cup flour 1/2 cup oatmeal 1 cup whey protein (or milk powder) 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, but adds nice flavor)   1. Mince the zucchini in the food processor with the salt.
      2. Add the sugar or sugar substitute and process until the sugar is dissolved.
      3. Bloom your cocoa: In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa with HOT espresso and your flavorings (including cinnamon). Stir until mostly dissolved.
      4. To the food processor add the cocoa mixture and two egg yolks and blend together.
      5. Add the whey protein or milk powder to the mixture and blend together.
      6. Add the oatmeal and blend.
      7. Add the flour and pulse to incorporate (in other words, try not to over mix).
      8. Pour into a brownie pan and bake for 20-30 minutes at 180C/350F
    • By Susanwusan
      Hi, would potatoes dauphinoise, broccoli and peas go with toad-in-the-hole, followed by queen of puddings?
    • By Susanwusan
      Hi, would potatoes dauphinoise, broccoli and peas go with toad-in-the-hole, followed by queen of puddings?
    • By shain
      This makes one not very large cake in an "English cake" pan (26x6.5 cm / 10x2.5 inch).
      You may want to double up the recipe and make two
      FoOr variation, you can use any citrus, and add mixins such as poppy seeds, candied ginger, sumac, raspberries, etc.

Please tell me if you make it, I really hope that you will like it!

Lemon-mandarin pound cake
      Batter:
      140g white flour 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (7 g) 190g white sugar 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt (1.5 g) 15-20g fine zest from a lemon and an orange/mandarin 160g labaneh or tart Greek yogurt or (5% fat or more) 2 large eggs 45g olive oil - aromatic, but not too vegetal, you can use natural oil if preferred 1 teaspoon vanilla extract  For syrup:
      25g sugar  apx. 7-6 g of long and thin stripes of peel (zest) from a lemon and an orange/mandarin - see photo below for reference Apx. 45g lemon juice  
      Method:
      Heat oven to 170 deg C (340 deg F).   Grease one pan. Prepare 3 mixing bowl: one of them should be quite large and another should be a mixer bowl to beat the egg whites in.
        In the small bowl, measure flour and baking powder.
        In the large bowl, mix sugar, fine citrus zest and salt. Let it rest while you proceed. Separate eggs, placing egg whites in the empty mixer bowl and the yolks in the large bowl with the sugar and zest. Add yogurt, vanilla and oil to the bowl with the sugar and yolks.
        Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Beat yolk-sugar-yogurt mixture until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Fold the egg white foam into the yolk mixture, until smooth and almost uniform. Sieve flour and baking soda mixture over the liquids. Fold from the bottom up just until uniform. Do not over mix. Pour into greased pan. Bake for apx. 45 minutes. A skewer should go out cleanly. The cake should rise to fill the pan and get a tan color. Do not over bake. 
        While the cake bakes, make the syrup: Mix together sugar and peel stripes (long zest). Mix well for the sugar to draw flavor from the peel. Add about the lemon juice and mix well until the sugar dissolves. If it doesn't, heat the syrup very briefly. When the cake is out of the oven, pierce it all over with a thin skewer or toothpick. Pour the syrup over the cake while it is still hot from the oven. Spread the remaining syrup soaked peel strips over the cake. Let chill and store in an airtight container, or wrapped in nylon.
        For variation, you may add candied orange peel, poppy seeds, mint, raspberries, etc.  

• By liuzhou
      150 grams soft brown sugar
      150 ml white wine vinegar
      3-4 mangoes
      I star anise
      2 cloves garlic, chopped
      ½ red onion
      1 thumb ginger
      1 red chili
      1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
      salt and pepper to taste

Dissolve sugar in vinegar then add everything else. Simmer for 25-30 minutes. Cool.

Keeps in the fridge for months. Excellent with cheese or ham. Or both. Also with poultry.

Duck and asparagus with spicy mango relish and rice.