• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted Cauliflower (aka Jim Dixon's Roasted Cauliflower, no wait,

Rachel Perlow

Roasted Cauliflower (aka Jim Dixon's Roasted Cauliflower, no wait, that's Amanda Hesser's recipe! Or is it?)

Serves 6 as Amuseor 4 as Appetizeror 2 as Side.

Here's a link to my post on the Veggies, Don't eat enough of them thread on eGullet. In that post, I refer to Jim Dixon's first mention of this dish on eGullet. Here is a link to Caramelized Cauliflower on his website, Real Good Food.

Here's a link to Amanda Hesser's article in the NYT: The Celestial Cauliflower, published January 17, 2001.

Finally, here's a link to the current eGullet discussion thread about roasted cauliflower. Does it taste like french fries to you?

Regardless of who created this recipe, it is a must try for everyone who ever thought cauliflower was characterless. Here's how Jason and I make it:

• 1 Head of Cauliflower (or more!!!)
  • 1/4 c Good Olive Oil (EVOO not necessary)
  • Kosher or Sea Salt
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 400F. Trim and wash the whole head of Cauliflower then slice it about 1/4 inch thick. There will be lots of small pieces and several large lacy slices. Place the cauliflower into a large bowl and drizzle on the Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper to taste, toss to coat.

Spread the cauliflower evenly onto sheet pans (I use 2 half-sheet pans) and put in the oven. After about 10 minutes, stir them around to get the pieces on the edge of the pan moved towards the middle to encourage even browning, stir again every 5-10 minutes. After about 20 minutes it is ready, but can be left a little longer until even more browned depending on your taste and addiction level.

Plan on 1 head of Cauliflower for every 2 people you are planning to serve. It reduces in volume significantly and is very addictive. Leftovers (leftovers?!) are excellent hot or cold (especially with Tahini Sauce).

Keywords: Amuse, Appetizer, Side, Kosher, Vegan, Vegetarian, Intermediate, Vegetables, Dinner, Lunch, Snack

( RG167 )

Edited by Smithy
Corrected broken links from eG and NYT (log)