• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Skillet Cornbread with Bacon

Rachel Perlow

Skillet Cornbread with Bacon

Serves 12 as Side.

Here's a link to the Corn Bread, Baked in a skillet thread.

Ingredient Notes:

1) Instead of buttermilk you can use 1-1/4 cup milk + 1/4 cup plain Yogurt or Sour Cream) – I like to use sour cream and skim milk.

2) About the Sugar: use 1-3 Tbs, depending on how sweet, or not, you like your cornbread.

3) Optional ingredients: corn kernels, shredded cheese, chopped sautéed hot peppers, chopped cilantro

• 2 Slices Bacon
  • 1 c Yellow Stone-ground Cornmeal
  • 1 c All-Purpose Flour
  • 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
  • 2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1-1/2 tsp Salt
  • 3/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 2 T Sugar
  • 1 Egg, lightly beaten
  • 1-1/2 c Buttermilk (see note above for substitutions)

Heat the oven to 350°F. Place cast iron skillet over low heat and slowly cook the bacon. Occasionally stir and slice the bacon (I use 2 knives) until the bacon is crisp and the fat has rendered, then place pan in the oven (leave the crumbled bacon & grease in the pan). While bacon is cooking, sift together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and pepper. In a second bowl, combine the egg and milk.

When the bacon is done and the skillet is in the oven, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients along with any optional additions (see notes), and stir to mix fairly well. Quickly open the oven and pour the batter into the skillet and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Turn the cornbread out on a rack so it doesn't get soggy as it cools.

Picture Credit and Bacon Notes: Thanks to eGullet member claire797 for the great picture. She pointed out that leaving the bacon in the skillet creates a "bacony crust." If you want the bacon mixed through the bread then remove & drain the bacon (leaving the grease in the skillet), crumble and mix into the batter before pouring it into the pan. Also, please note that the size of your skillet will affect how long the cornbread takes to bake. The pictured skillet is 8" in diameter and took 25 minutes to bake. I cook mine in a larger skillet, the bread is only about 1 1/2" in the center when done and takes about 18-20 mintues to bake.

Keywords: Side, Intermediate, Snack, Dinner, Lunch, Pork, Bread, American, Barbeque

( RG163 )