• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

needoo

Quick trip to needoo last night, brought to my attention by dos hermanos so you probably know the story by now, ex -tayyab FOH manager has opened his own place literally round the corner from tayyabs.

so if you like tayyabs this is a very good addition, it is very similar in concept and execution, big on grills and there are curries too, other differentiator is it is open during ramadan which tayyabs isn't (though the sweet shop looked to be) which gave us a little concern as we walked down fieldgate st and saw tayyabs looking closed/under renovation. (tayyabs is closed until 21st september).

which means needoo will do doubt get a good start with tayyabs regulars desperate for a fix. we were there early about 5.30 and got straight in with an order for 2 shami kebabs and a mixed grilled, after ascertaining it contained all the goodies, 2 sheek kebabs, 4 lamb chops and 5 pieces tikka. We also ordered some naan bread too a peshwari and normal.

the popadums were ok, i thought some of the non spiced ones could have been a little fresher but we scoffed them nontheless and the pickles, especially a really intense dark brown one, good.

shamis arrived quickly and the first bite confirmed tayyab-esque level of spicing, tasty but not head blowing off. Mixed grill soon arrived, the sheeks were excellent and both us thought they tasted a little meatier than the tayyabs version, felt a bit better quality, tikka was good and lamb chops again seemed better meat but a little less spiced than the tayyab version, but still very good. we thought it only polite to add another couple of seeks just to be sure and indeed they were.

we had a couple of curries to show willing, scott's wednesday special of lamb korma was a little unexciting but hey - it's a korma . I ordered a chicken and keema mix but it seemed to be more chicken than keema but it was spot on, a nice 'madras' curry colour to it , good heat and very moreish .

we were a bit stuffed by this point and with thoughts of a train to catch we decided to admit defeat and leave scott enough curry for a post beer feast or breakfast today which we took away.

all that with a jug of mango lassi was £31.

they looked rammed for later in the evening with tables booked for ramadan meals but early doors we were the only ones in, definitely one for the return list.

you don't win friends with salad

I really wish I had known about this place a few weeks ago. I had planned to take my dad to Tayyabs for dinner before a gig at Troxy (Limehouse area), but saw that they were closed. Would have loved to go to Needoo instead, but I read the DH post the day after the gig. Guh... Fortunately i've got a few more gigs to go to in london so i'll make it next time hopefully.

Having just moved flat and found myself a brisk 5 minute walk from Needoo (and with Tayyabs closed for ramadan) I thought it would be rude not to give it a visit.

I was hugely impressed, the pickles (well, sauces really) were pretty good, especially the tamarind one, although I do get a bit pissed off when I find I have been charged a quid for poppadums which were brought without a word.

Mixed grill was fantastic, especially the chicken. The lamb chops are perhaps not quite as highly spiced as Tayyabs but still delicious. Aloo Gobi was incredibly fresh and 'vegetabley' tasting, the spicing was mild and it worked really well in conjunction with the meats. Baingan Daal was superb, and when coupled with the FANTASTIC oily tandoori naan the flavour was incredible.

All that lot and some chilli tikka paneer (tasty, nice texture, not all that exciting) and rice was plenty for two of us and with the tip it came to just over £30. Will be back. A lot.