• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy veggies in Melbourne?

I have just moved to Melbourne, but grew up in Perth. I am looking for a fruit and veg shop like The Boat Shed in Cottesloe. For those who don't know, the fresh produce in WA is something else. The Boat Shed was where Australia II was constructed and has since been turned into a fruit and veg shop. Every time you drop in, you can find something exciting - purple, white, and green asparagus of several different types, fruits that I have only seen in Asia (starfruit, mangosteens) as well as some South American fruits, a ridiculous potato selection where you can get 8-10 varieties of potatoes. Since moving here I have not seen Royal Blue potatoes for sale anywhere for e.g. They get lettuce from the farmers that actually tastes of lettuce, and have a selection of rocket from the milder type to pungent and peppery wild rocket.

There seems to be no place in Melbourne like it?

I have been to the Prahran Markets, and it is not the same. I know I can get Asian fruits in Box Hill and Richmond, and sometimes in the Queen Vic markets. I am not a big fan of the Queen Vic Market though - seems as if all the vendors are competing on price and not quality.

I want quality produce, and I am prepared to spend money and petrol to get it! Does anyone have any recommendations?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

• 5 weeks later...

I've got a couple of suggestions:

There's a little fruit and vege shop on Lygon St in Carlton (near corner of Elgin St) that I personally use all the time. Loads of really great produce and very helpful staff who will try to get anything for you (in season of course!)

Or Toscanos of Kew 215/219 High St - I live on the other side of town, but the times I've been their stuff was great.

Or for a real seasonal treat, try the Farmers Markets on a Saturday morning http://www.mfm.com.au/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendations! I live in Kew, so those places are quite close by. Will have a look tomorrow. Thanks again!

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

• 3 weeks later...

I second the farmer's market....they are on every Saturday morning (a different location every week) and they focus on fresh, most organic produce and is marketed by the farmers/producers so you effectively cut out the middle-man and are buying direct. They are always very friend and the prices are pretty good too. A great way to by seasonal food which is better for the environment. Apart from the fruit and veg, there are many great food products like game, organic meat, free-range eggs, organic wine, fresh bread, etc. Definetly worth going just for the vibe alone!

Melbourne, Australia

'One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.' ~Virginia Woolf

• 5 months later...

I moved from Melbourne five years ago but when I lived there my favourite market was always the Prahran market- I'm a little surprised it disappoints you. I agree that the Victoria Markets seem to be more about quantity and price rather than quality, the food I bought there was a bit hit & miss, but I always found Prahran to be very reliable. And the Essential Ingredient is there too, I spent hours and loads of money in that shop...

If you want a wide range of potatoes then try the South Melbourne market- the market itself isn't anything special (the fresh produce is pretty good but the rest is tacky) but there is a stall dedicated to unusual potatoes (South Melbourne Market). It's not exactly close to Kew though, so if you decide to drive from Kew to South Melbourne just for a few spuds then you will have my respect!

I suggest you try the organic food shops in Eltham, they may be what you're looking for - and if you're new to Melbourne then a drive to Eltham (and Warrandyte) will make for a lovely afternoon. I suggest you try googling for organic food shops in Eltham because it's been many years since I was there and they may have changed, but there was one called something like Dynamic Foods which was lovely. There are bound to be farmers markets in the Eltham area as well, although the Collingwood one (linked to above by EmmaElizabeth) has the added attraction of all the animals!

And if you want to make a weekend of it then just go for a drive out to the Yarra Valley and take your chances with roadside stalls. Visit some wineries, or berry farms, or trout/salmon/yabby farms, and enjoy the scenery as much as the food!

Cheers,

-Chris