• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tokyo & Kyoto in October - where to eat?

EJCSanFran

My partner and I are visiting Japan for the first time at the end of October. We'll be spending 9 days in Tokyo and 5 days in Kyoto. I'd be eager for any restaurant recommendations. I'm studying the boards and my guidebooks, but thought I'd post with some of our particulars:

We're staying in Shinjuku while in Tokyo, though we're happy to head anywhere in Central Tokyo or even further afield.

I'd love to know a good teppanyaki place.

My partner is originally from the mid-West. He's definitely gotten more adventurous, but sushi other than California roll and ebi tends to alarm him. Any place I should take him that would demonstrate the wonders of truly excellent sushi? I wouldn't mind splurging...

Any recs on where to get sushi while at Tsukiji Fish Market? Sushi Dai seems to be the most popular - but I'd prefer not to wait in line for an hour...

And if it's any incentive to help me, I promise to blog and share photos once I'm there. Thanks!

Eric in SF

Any recs on where to get sushi while at Tsukiji Fish Market? Sushi Dai seems to be the most popular - but I'd prefer not to wait in line for an hour...

I would recommend Sushi Bun. It does not generally accept requests for press coverage (with the downside of not allowing photos), and therefore normally does not have much of a line. It uses only wild fish, has a history around 160 years, and the current owner is fifth generation. Crushingly good anago. The shop interior is no great shakes, and the counter space is really tight to the point where the oshibori you get at the beginning needs to be put on a ledge under the counter. The clients range from local regulars to tourists depending on the day and time, I would recommend a 7:30 or earlier arrival. I get there about once a month with friends and the occasional visitor.

It is two rows before Sushi Dai and Daiwa Sushi. http://imgur.com/3yG9I.jpg has a photo of the entrance, hope that this helps.

---

Satoshi