• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best bang for buck dinner

jkim

I've a function coming up in a couple of weeks and have been tasked with the duty of finding a venue. The budget is $40/head including non-alcoholic drinks. I've been tossing a few ideas, but would like to get more ideas before I decide.

My current list is as follows (~$40 / head or less):

- Paladarr Thai Issan (Alphington)

#1 candidate at this stage, but Thai is a bit risky as it may not be widely acceptable for those who've not had it before. Also the only hatted restaurant I could find within the budget ($35 - 40 / head inc drinks by experience).

- Izakaya chu`ji (City)

#2 candidate at this stage for no other reason than below.

- Meat & Wine Co (Southbank)

#3 positive reactions by many, but 1 participant has voiced objection to eating "classical western" i.e. steak + chips / pasta / etc...

Places I want to find out budgeting info on - i.e. if I can arrange a set menu with a coke for under $40 / head:

- Cumulus - prices on the website seem like it can be done... but I don't know dish sizes so I can't be sure.

- MoVida - no idea on pricing...

I would like to get a list of restaurants that are:

1. not of the same cuisine type as those above - i.e. I would love to get a Chinese recommendation within the budget, but with good food and atmosphere.

OR

2. better replacements of an already listed cuisine types.