• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Basil Buds" --- my coinage

maggiethecat

Basil is an herb best served fresh, scattered over summer salads and soups. Pounded into pesto. Conjuring Keats -- or was it Shelley? It's the sensuous scent of summer.

And it's a bitch to preserve. All that pesto in your freezer will resemble cow pats, grim and grotty. Drying it is better than buying dried basil, but what's the point, really? Basil's meant to be eaten fresh.

So let me tell you about what I'm calling Basil Buds. I saw this technique demonstrated by a ladtywhose name I wish I could remember, about a month ago on the Martha Stewart Show.

Bring a pan of water to the boil. Blanch the basil for no more than ten seconds, then plunge it into ice water. Dry it off. Stick it into your blender with a cup of olive oil (I cheated --half and half with canola) and whiz it up. It will be a lovely fresh green. Freeze in ice cube trays, then pack away in your freezer in a baggie. The color is just gorgeous.

Throw a couple into a soup or a salad dressing. A lovely sauce for a simple fish dish. Always green, and fresh flavored.

That's my tip for the summer.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

This is , indeed, a great way to preserve basil. I don't bother with the blanching, but I suppose its right and more hygienic.

There is a wonderful recipe in 'The Silver Palate Cookbook' (remember that?) for a seafood salad with basil puree that we're very fond of. Give it a try.

As a matter of fact there's a recipe for basil puree in there as well.

I actually spread it very thin in a zip-top bag so I can snap off pieces all winter

Although last week I shattered my Pyrex measuring cup full of it when I decided it was ok to leave the stick blender standing in the cup.

Greasy green glass was fun to clean up

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

this works with other herbs too. Trader Joes also sells these in a little box containing mini ice cubes of some sort. I have not tried those though, as basil is available here all year. Would be handy if I don't have any handy though.

You can of course also make and freeze pesto, not sure why your's turn out like grim cow patties? I freeze it in little tubs with a layer of olive oil on top, comes out like new. I usually don't like bought pesto at all, but the one CostCo sells next to the fresh ravioli is quite good and freezes well too. Can't remember the brand, something with a C I think. Come in a tall plastic container, not a flat/low one.

If you make the cubes, it's also good to vacupack them or at least get as much air out of your bag as possible if you want to store them a bit longer. Avoids ice build up.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I actually spread it very thin in a zip-top bag so I can snap off pieces all winter

Although last week I shattered my Pyrex measuring cup full of it when I decided it was ok to leave the stick blender standing in the cup.

Greasy green glass was fun to clean up

tracey

GAH! As many have recommended before me, the perfect job for a can of "whomp" biscuits, and a good topic for the "I'll never again" thread!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I have been using Genovese basil for years, and the way I do it, is to take the leaves off the plants in the fall and put them in a food processor and add olive oil and roughly chop them into a very coarse mixture.(Don't over chop, IE. blend),, Then take said mixture/pulp, and put it in ice cube trays and freeze...When frozen,, vac pack said cubes,, and back to the freezer...I have used them, even after 2 years in the freezer on pizza,,pasta etc and they were still as flavorful as when packed...

Got a great crop going this year , almost ready to pack...

Bud

There is a wonderful recipe in 'The Silver Palate Cookbook' (remember that?) for a seafood salad with basil puree that we're very fond of. Give it a try.

I have experimented a lot with these books since discovering them a year ago. I should try this recipe while I have basil in my garden (or at least use Maggie's clever preserving method, which I've heard about but haven't done-- yet!)

Incidently, Sheila Lukins (of Silver Palate fame) passed away this week. I say we carry on her tasty legacy by keeping these recipes alive!

Edited by Corinna (log)

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Maggie's method is the only way I know of to preserve Thai basil. I've tried drying (in which case you can forget that it was ever Thai basil) and freezing it on it's own (again, forget it was ever Thai basil).

But, when I do it, I roll it into a log in plastic wrap, the diameter about that of a quarter or a loonie. A quick whack on the counter and I have what I need.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"