• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fette Sau BBQ

Curlz

Okay, some of you may scream loudly that I'm very late to the party, but a certain eG pal of mine just called to ask if I've ever heard of Fette Sau, and I must admit that I hadn't; and neither had he.

With all of the reading I do here and elsewhere, I'm wondering how it slipped under the radar. It's obviously been around for a couple of years already.

FetteSau website

TALK TO ME, PEOPLE! :cool: Thanks!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

There are quite a few mentions of Fette Sau around the forums, but perhaps no dedicated topic. I'm not of the opinion that it's a destination-worthy place. I visited almost exactly a year ago when I was doing the rounds for a barbecue story for Crain's, and I thought it was a good place to have in the neighborhood, if I lived in the neighborhood, which I don't. Sort of a light version of Hill Country.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The boyfriend and I are in the area pretty often to go to beer events at Barcade or Sputyen Duyvil, and it seems that our group always ends up at Fette Sau. The food (at least the meat) is very good. I still remember the first time I had the ribs. The sides I'm less crazy about. The beans are good, pickles are good, but I don't like my broccoli overcooked and I'm not a potato salad person (especially when it's got a ton of mustard on it).

ETA: I forgot to mention that they do whiskey flights that are a pretty good deal.

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory