• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jeanne Dielman–Cooking Video Contest

David A. Goldfarb

The Criterion Collection is hosting a cooking video competition to celebrate the release of the Criterion edition of Chantal Akerman's film, Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles.

Even if you aren't interested in such things, watch the clip. It's slow, quiet objectivity is a cleansing antidote to The Food Network--

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1223

Wow, they're finally releasing a DVD? When I saw that film a few years ago in college as part of a Feminist Film Theory course, it was because we were lucky enough that the George Eastman House in Rochester, NY managed to get a copy to have a viewing.

Anyway... that scene with the meatloaf was one of the most memorable of that film, and amazingly hypnotic. I'm not a filmmaker, so I can't hope to top that.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Yes, I just added it to my Netflix queue.

Here are a couple more scenes--

[Oy! "It's/its" typo in my previous post, and I can't edit.]

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)