• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fine Dining Indian in Chicago?

glossyp

Planning a trip to Chicago and looking for food that is unavailable here. Top of my list is Indian not of the buffet line variety. I am hopeful! Thanks for your input.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Planning a trip to Chicago and looking for food that is unavailable here. Top of my list is Indian not of the buffet line variety. I am hopeful! Thanks for your input.

Most of the Indian places in Chicago do a buffet at lunch and normal table service at dinner. Gaylord recently moved (now at 100 E Walton), and their new space is quite nice. I've only been for lunch, so I have no idea how 'fine' their dinner service is, but the food is always reliable. This review on Center Stage makes me think it is at least somewhat classy in the evening. Klay Oven and India House both have the same set up, I believe.

There is also a 'fine dining' Indian-fusion concept called Vermillion (10 W Hubbard). I've only been there once, many years ago, and found it to be overpriced. I've heard good things about it since, but haven't had the chance to go back. It would certainly be the nicest of the restaurants mentioned above.

All of these spots are downtown, not on the traditional strip of Indian restaurants located on Devon on the city's north side. Devon would be your best bet for traditional and quality Indian food (Bhabi's or Hema's), but I don't know of any place up there that I'd consider 'fine dining'.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I think one of the very nicest Indian restaurants in Chicago is Tiffin, on Devon. I've only enjoyed their lunch buffet, but that is well done, and the ambience of the restaurant is quite nice; if I remember correctly, they have white tablecloths.

I would definitely avoid Hema's. I was there just a month ago with a friend from St. Louis. We were first shocked to walk in and see only Caucasians at the tables, which is not typical when dining along Devon. The food was very average at best; the Rogan Josh, which should be long-simmered, was merely chunks of cooked meat with sauce draped on top. Arya Bhavan used to be exceptional (100% vegetarian), but their quality has gone down over the last 18 months or so to the point that I don't bother returning any more.

I can't address the current quality of the downtown venues, having not eaten at any of them recently.

Bret S. Beall, MS, PhD (Cand), CEO

Global Organic Designs Lifestyle Services

www.god-dess.com

• 2 weeks later...

Vermillion is tasty indeed but the portions are very small. The room is cool and the FOH is very well informed. IIRC, the mint chutney is an extra charge and the naan is super small and pricey.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Had a great meal at Bhabi's Kitchen last night...the pistachio naan is really unlike anything else I've ever tasted. Perfectly spiced food and wonderful conversation with the proprietors. Sadly, we were the only diners in the entire restaurant. (There were a few carryout orders while we were there, but not many.) Bhabi is doing great work, but the "Check, Please!" effect has run its course, and I think he may now be a bit priced out of the local market.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Mahalo to all for the input. The trip is confirmed and I leave this evening. I will report on eats. BTW, the dearly beloved (who left a few days earlier) dined at Custom House last night. He gave it a B+ for food, and an A+ for service.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.