• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where is the best steak in SF...

crsm

Forgive me if this has been covered in earlier posts but....

I'll be in SF for a few days in September and wanted recommendations on where the best place for steak is? Preferably not too difficult to get to from Union Square.

On a different topic, I've read that the best chinese isn't found in China Town...if not then where is it?

Cheers!

Richard

Morton's is right on Union Square and is very good. A few blocks away is Harris for steak. In the Westfield Mall is Lark Creek Steak. Quite honestly, I can't tell them apart. To me, we have good grass-fed beef at all these restaurants and they are all prepared exceptionally well, so they run a dead-heat for me.

What kind of Chinese food are you looking for? That will help determine where to send you; dim sum? Cantonese? Szechuan? XLB? We have a HUGE Chinese community with various pockets of the various regional cuisines all over the city (including in Chinatown -- which does have some very good food).

Morton's is right on Union Square and is very good. A few blocks away is Harris for steak. In the Westfield Mall is Lark Creek Steak. Quite honestly, I can't tell them apart. To me, we have good grass-fed beef at all these restaurants and they are all prepared exceptionally well, so they run a dead-heat for me.

What kind of Chinese food are you looking for? That will help determine where to send you; dim sum? Cantonese? Szechuan? XLB? We have a HUGE Chinese community with various pockets of the various regional cuisines all over the city (including in Chinatown -- which does have some very good food).

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the advice on steaks.

Our favourite Chinese food is Cantonese or Szechuan at a push.

Cheers!

Richard