• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Cold Noodles

Yesterday I decided to hit my local Korean place and discovered a summer special. Korean Cold Noodles. What exactly were these cold noodles?

Thin (not quite angle hair thin, but close) chewy and delicious. Served not how I expected. I expected a plate of chilled noodles, some sauces perhaps, something liek that.

What I got was actually a bowl of noodles in a simple chilled beef broth with slices of cucumber, something else which was white and thinly sliced (daikon?), some cold sliced short ribs, and vinegar and mustard to add. And ice, yes ice in my soup. When they say cold, they mean it.

Very clean, simple, and delicious for a hot summer day.

Anyone else had these?

Nangmyun is one of my favorite things but I only eat it in the summer. Althought seems deceptively simple, a great bowl is incredibly difficult find. Wooleeoak does a gret job in the states.

• 4 weeks later...

There's also a sauced and non-broth version of it called bibim nangmyun. Uses a hot chili mix for sauce.

I love both kinds of naengmyun in the summer. But I hate when I walk into a restaurant on a HOT day and find that the place is so over AC'd that it makes the cold noodles unappetizing. :(

Agreed. I got nangmyun at place in annandale. the combination of AC and nangmyun had my shivering so bad, I went into my car rolled up my windows and turn up the heat.

Per my previous point, I am still looking a a really great bowl in the DC area.