• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are Colchones?

thecuriousone

HI Everbody-

There are these fantastic rolls call colchones. I find them in latin american and hispanic panaderias. They are the to me the perfect breakfast bread, all yeasty and milky and soft. They are sprinkled with sugar on the top and with a cup of strong coffee and a beach, life is pretty close to perfect.

My question is this: Are they a dinner roll or a sweetbread? Not that it matters to me but I cant seem to find a recipe anywhere.

I ate them for many years on vacation and recently found them locally. Any information on where I could find a recipe would be appreciated. thank you.

Ha ha! Well, my Google search only told me that "colchones" is the spanish word for mattress. I couldn't find a recipe to save my life. However, I know the executive chef at Las Chicas Locas in NY, and I put the question to him if he knows what they are......he's an expert in Mexican food.

If he replies to me with some valuable info on them, I'll pass it along!

Ha ha! Well, my Google search only told me that "colchones" is the spanish word for mattress. I couldn't find a recipe to save my life. However, I know the executive chef at Las Chicas Locas in NY, and I put the question to him if he knows what they are......he's an expert in Mexican food.

If he replies to me with some valuable info on them, I'll pass it along!

Thanks so much! I first tasted them in Brazil and simply thought they were the best rolls I had ever tasted. They are like hot cross bun dough without the frosting. When I happened on this panaderia looking for something to munch on, I found them again. They are the best.

Here's a recipe for orange flavored ones. You could eliminate the orange juice, extract and zest for plain ones adding plain sugar as a topping. But, the orange ones are very tasty.

How did you find that? I spent a half hour searching last night and came up empty handed. But then I ignored all the spanish written links, since I couldn't read them. The google translation isn't bad on that particular recipe. I had to laugh when it translated the title, "Orange Mattresses". :laugh:

Here's a recipe for orange flavored ones. You could eliminate the orange juice, extract and zest for plain ones adding plain sugar as a topping. But, the orange ones are very tasty.

How did you find that? I spent a half hour searching last night and came up empty handed. But then I ignored all the spanish written links, since I couldn't read them. The google translation isn't bad on that particular recipe. I had to laugh when it translated the title, "Orange Mattresses". :laugh:

I like to use AltaVista, and I searched for 'Colchones receta'. (I learned Spanish as a little kid, my husband lived in Mexico for a couple of years as an adult, so we know enough Spanish to get by in most situations.) Since dictionary.com and other places have text translators, I figured that most people wouldn't have too much trouble translating a short recipe.