• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les Faux Bourgeois

fud

I had a wonderful meal at Les Faux Bourgeois on Tuesday. It has to be the sleeper hit of the summer for us.

We started with a glass of Kettle Valley White and tucked into a French Onion soup done the way I love - smoked bacon, creamy stock and oh-so-sweet onions. The dish was topped with a Guyere that had a smokey aftertaste.

I had the Moulles Frites and my SO had a seared salmon. The mussles were served in the traditional white wine affair but it was absolutely delicious. I could not stop dipping the fresh bread and filling my belly with the rich salty goodness. The fries were crispy and well seasoned - they came with a fresh, home-made, mayo.

The Salmon was crispy at the skin and well done throughout. Flakey and delicate.

We were very pleasantly surprised at the bill at the end. This is very good food at bargain prices. We will be back hopefully sooner rather than later.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I really like it too, I agree the value is very fair and appreciate they pass along the savings from being in a slightly strange location. If only some of the other places in town in low rent areas passed along the savings to the customers. (I'm looking at you Campagnolo.)

With regards to it being a "sleeper" I'm confused, LFB is perhaps the busiest restaurant in the city, and one of the toughest reservations to snag, I'm not sure how it qualifies as a sleeper in any way.

^

Oh yes my bad, I never made the reservation - my wife did - so to me it was one of those "show up and enjoy it" evenings. After talking to some friends, the reservation "line" doesn't alarm me but probably makes it a non sleeper...more like a summer blockbuster that didn't disappoint!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello