• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bramley Apples

Lindsey

Any ideas? We have a glut this year, done the pies, tarts, crumbles, charlottes etc. Am trying to come up with a different, slightly, take on the Bramley apple. Nothing too avant guard - this is Scotland!! :biggrin:

Had thought of a toffee apple crumble topped pie but too boring. Needs to be able to be reheated or easy assemble. Sort of thinking along sticky gingerbread lines with apple in the mix and a sharp apple/cream mix over the top. Weather is turning here so fireside puds are the order of the day.

All ideas very gratefully received.

Any ideas? We have a glut this year, done the pies, tarts, crumbles, charlottes etc. Am trying to come up with a different, slightly, take on the Bramley apple. Nothing too avant guard - this is Scotland!! :biggrin:

Had thought of a toffee apple crumble topped pie but too boring. Needs to be able to be reheated or easy assemble. Sort of thinking along sticky gingerbread lines with apple in the mix and a sharp apple/cream mix over the top. Weather is turning here so fireside puds are the order of the day.

All ideas very gratefully received.

Had to Wiki Bramley just to find out what they are. They sound a bit like our Northern Spies, not a very common apple anymore, but great for pies.

The Wiki article suggests cider. That would certainly use up a lot of them.

(I'm in east central Ontario...we're not too exciting either :wink: .)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Not exactly what you asked for, but a combination I really love.

Gingerbread with Warm Apples and Cider Sabayon

Recipe By : Star's Desserts

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Cakes and frostings Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

Gingerbread

1 1/2 cups boiling water

1 cup molasses

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup soft butter

1 cup brown sugar

1 large egg

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp ground ginger

1 1/4 tsp cinnamon

1 pinch ground cloves

2 1/2 cups flour

1 tbsp baking powder

Warm Apples

7 apples

2 tbsp butter

1/2 cup sugar

2 tbsp calvados

2 tbsp lemon juice

1 pinch salt

Cider Sabayon

8 large egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar

1 pinch salt

1/2 cup apple juice -- or cider, plus 2 tbs

2 tbsp calvados

1 cup whipping cream

Grease 9x13" pan. Stir molasses and baking soda into boiling water and cool to lukewarm. Cream butter and sugar, add egg. Alternate wet and dry ingredients. Bake at 350 for 30 -35 minutes.

Apples - Core, peel and slice apples. Melt butter in large saute pan, add rest of ingredients and cook until soft, but retain shape.

Sabayon - Whisk all ingredients except whipping cream over boiling water for about 5 minutes, until thick and tripled in volume. Place bowl over ice water and whisk until cool. Beat whipping cream and fold into sabayon.

The Bramley disintegrates beautifully into apple cake.

And it makes the best Apple Sauce for pork.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I'm not able to make any further suggestions but just wanted to say, that I left the UK about 7 years ago and the thing I miss the most are Bramleys.

No other apple has that kind of perfume; and there is definitely no better apple for making apple sauce to accompany your roast pork. :wub:

Itinerant winemaker

Follow me on Twitter

I made an apple soup last year to use up crab apples and that was very good, I think there are quite a few scandinavian fruit soups that use apple and my apple recipe book has one for apple, leek and potato soup that can be served hot or cold.

For puddings I like to add a lot of grated apple to a sweet mincemeat pie, pancakes or waffles served with stewed apples are prety good. Eve's pudding allways looks nice and simpe but I have never made one.

For vegetable dishes red cabbage cooked with apple and of course chutneys.

Baking is my favorite, with currants and stuff in the center , butter , sugar , if there are any left they are equally good cold.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.