• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SLIDERS

rooftop1000

When I recently heard that a former co-worker was involved with a new place featuring Sliders I offered my daughter a free lunch and we headed over.

The store was previously a Japanese restaurant and retains the low counter seating as well as 2 and 4 top tables, they have decorated with blue cafe curtains and raided their curio cabinets to fill the shelves behind the counter.

The menu is a work in progress, actually their laptop was open to the design work.

Running through the handwritten menu and the specials board was a tasty experience. Today's special was a grilled chicken breast "slider" with flavorfull hot sauce, lettuce, and mayo. We split a hot dog with Dirt Sauce a thick dry chili sauce with big hit of clove in the background and a pleasant bite.

But what about the burgers? This is about the burgers right?

Well carmelized onions smooshed right into the little meat cookies almost like a crust and good meat to bun ratio.

Crispy non-shoestring French Fries and pickle chips and we were all set.

190 Franklin Tpk

Mahwah NJ

gallery_23695_6745_5323.jpg

gallery_23695_6745_17648.jpg

gallery_23695_6745_43644.jpg

gallery_23695_6745_49259.jpg

gallery_23695_6745_20627.jpg

So yes I know the cook....but the food is still good

Tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Why thank you Rich, but I have actually asked to have them removed since I saw a comment in the Bergen Record that they look Disturbing

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Why thank you Rich, but I have actually asked to have them removed since I saw a comment in the Bergen Record that they look Disturbing

T

http://njmg.typepad.com/foodblog/2009/08/n...-in-mahwah.html

I saw that quote too and Disturbing wasn't the word that was used - Unappealing was the word. To tell you the truth, the food does look rather unappealing in the pics. From the white paper plates (300 for 99 cents) to what I think is the slider, not to mention that broken hotdog pic with the chili sort of sliding off of it, if the food is indeed good, the pics just don't support the claim.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

UPDATE --- Debate aside, now they are closed. About 5 days ago, the owner(s) called it quits. Told the neighbor he wasn't making any money and lost a great deal in the past 9 months.

It's a shame as the place was a nice little place. I had stopped in once and taken food home. Good dog, a couple of nice sandwiches. The location, this strip mall is like a wasteland, oddly designed. The Japanese restaurant that was there before, Sono, was very good -- it's just the location!