• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Light or Dark Rum: Which is more versatile?

davidshap

OK gotcha.  Though its a different drink, is it necessarily a bad drink?  Is a mojito made with Appleton inferior to one made with a white rum or just different?

It's different, and probably superior (to my palate at least). However, it doesn't look as nice.

I've really been wanting something other than a white rum, so I'm going to pick up a bottle of Appleton's tomorrow. The only question is V/X or Reserve.

I've really been wanting something other than a white rum, so I'm going to pick up a bottle of Appleton's tomorrow.  The only question is V/X or Reserve.

I'd recommed the V/X, as I think it is more versatile. The reserve is very dry, woody and angular; the V/X is more round and soft. It is a go-to rum for me for Mai Tais and the like. It's cheaper, too. But, ask someone else and they might recommend the Reserve...

Ok, so I bought a bottle of Appleton V/X. Didn't see any Bacardi 8 at the store, and I was debating between the Mount Gay and the Appleton, and chose the Appleton.

I haven't made any cocktails with it yet, but I tried a bit neat, and it was pretty good. The only other rum I've had is whatever kind of Bacardi comes in a handle, and this is definitely a lot better, and makes me think that I could really enjoy the spirit.

Appleton V/X is one of my favorite rums as well, but I don't think you can really say that a Daiquiri or Mojito made with it still qualifies for those names...the flavor of that rum is so different from any kind of white rum at all that it would certainly mean a new name for the drink. I mean if we switch to Scotch in a Manhattan it gets a new name, and even variations as subtle as the type of even amount of bitters in a Martini often qualify for new names. Appleton V/X is certainly as different from Bacardi/Flor de Cana ED/Havana Club as American Whiskey is from Scotch if not moreso.

Not saying the drinks aren't fabulous, I'd just say you aren't really experiencing a true Daiquiri if you're making it with Appleton V/X. Planters Punch or Grog, perhaps?

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Appleton V/X is one of my favorite rums as well, but I don't think you can really say that a Daiquiri or Mojito made with it still qualifies for those names...the flavor of that rum is so different from any kind of white rum at all that it would certainly mean a new name for the drink. I mean if we switch to Scotch in a Manhattan it gets a new name, and even variations as subtle as the type of even amount of bitters in a Martini often qualify for new names. Appleton V/X is certainly as different from Bacardi/Flor de Cana ED/Havana Club as American Whiskey is from Scotch if not moreso.

Not saying the drinks aren't fabulous, I'd just say you aren't really experiencing a true Daiquiri if you're making it with Appleton V/X. Planters Punch or Grog, perhaps?

Tonight I made a mojito with the V/X, and one with Bacardi Superior (my friend brought a bottle over), and I have to say, I liked the Bacardi one better. I don't have a very experienced palate and have a hard time discussing specific flavors, so all I can really say is the the Bacardi tasted more like what I think a mojito should taste like. I'd definitley agree that they are very different drinks.