Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hatch Chili Peppers (Merged Topic)


fooey
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Is that 1.49 a pound for fresh in the Kroger pic above? So cheap. I can't find much of anything with heat for under 5$ a pound near me. Farm stands and farm markets are usually near 10$. Fresh picked corn prices are coming down. Peppers maybe in a few weeks. 

I don't know.  I see two signs in the photo - one says $6.98 and the other says $1.49.  Not sure what either of them is for and I didn't go over since I didn't have any interest.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a bag of fresh Hatch chiles at Kroger this weekend. I roasted them over hardwood charcoal in the Weber. $1.49 here. They were labelled as medium heat. They did not have any labelled as hot.  The mediums aren't very hot. They do taste good though. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I would love to try a Hatch chili but they are undheard of in these parts, as are a lot of things you folks discuss. We are apparently in the heart of the raspberry/blueberry capital of Canada (?) but that and Chilliwack corn are all we have to share with the rest of the province/country.

 

I know that the Hatch Chile Store used to ship to Canada. I'm not sure if they can shop fresh (due to possible agricultural import restrictions?) but they did shop frozen at one time via FedEx 2-day or overnight. You can't order online, you have to phone them for international shipping and I'm sure you'd pay a pretty good amount for the shipping, but it might be worth it as a splurge purchase.  🙂

 

Edited to add: Or there are various dried or canned products, of course, but I don't think you were asking about those? 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

 

I know that the Hatch Chile Store used to ship to Canada. I'm not sure if they can shop fresh (due to possible agricultural import restrictions?) but they did shop frozen at one time via FedEx 2-day or overnight. You can't order online, you have to phone them for international shipping and I'm sure you'd pay a pretty good amount for the shipping, but it might be worth it as a splurge purchase.  🙂

 

Edited to add: Or there are various dried or canned products, of course, but I don't think you were asking about those? 

Thanks, I have never looked into it honestly. I may now be inspired to do so. We are now once again, contemplating going over the border to grocery shop.It has been well over two years, but Bellingham WA, which is the nearest decent size US city to us, has a great selection of Mexican food and groceries, which I have been sorely missing. I realize that Hatch chilis aren't Mexican but the talk of them has got me thinking...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to N. New Mexico for a too short getaway.   

 

Came back with no fresh chiles, but grabbed a bunch of local produced jarred sauces and stuff.

 

Costco ABQ is a great place to get some local flavors.  Cervantes sauces (red and green) in 3 packs.

A gallon of Sadies hot salsa.   Believe the label, it's hot!   Reminds me of the old school macho table salsas you used to get with your bowl of chips if you asked for it special at Mexican restaurants.  

2 Costco packs of frozen chopped HOT green chiles.  I would have preferred med heat but I grabbed what they had.  Each pack has 12 smaller envelopes of chopped roasted chile.  Looks very nice and conveniently portioned.   I have never seen frozen chiles in Costco in AZ.

(Also bought 3 2023 Balloon Festival calendars, ~$4 bucks each.  Cheap and pretty to look at, that was my tourist purchase)

 

Adult beverages:  Atapino.  Nice for campfire sipping after eating green chile stew.

 

30 lbs of my beloved NM Pinon coffee beans right at the roastery on Comanche.  I know in the past on eG it's been disparaged as "tourist" coffee.  I've loved it for decades and will continue to love my "tourist" coffee.  I get the med roast beans and I just enjoy that buttery undertone of the pinon nuts in it.

 

Here's a delicious hot mess of Christmas smothered hash browns in Taos.    I was late taking a pic because I was hungry.

 

image.thumb.png.b89eda73ca3c3b0e667519fdd40dc01d.png

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

A gallon of Sadies hot salsa.   Believe the label, it's hot!   Reminds me of the old school macho table salsas you used to get with your bowl of chips if you asked for it special at Mexican restaurants.  

 

Ha! I ordered some chips and salsa for takeout at an old local Mexican/American resto a couple years ago and asked if they had an extra spicy version. He gave me a look, walked into the kitchen and I saw him stir a big spoon of Huy Fong Chili Garlic sauce into the pint. I have copied that in a pinch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Started a gallon of fermenting hot sauce. Some oven roasted. Room to add a half dozen smoked tomorrow. A few black cardamon and some slices of mango. 

IMG_3845.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 8:01 AM, lemniscate said:

Went to N. New Mexico for a too short getaway.   

 

Came back with no fresh chiles, but grabbed a bunch of local produced jarred sauces and stuff.

 

Costco ABQ is a great place to get some local flavors.  Cervantes sauces (red and green) in 3 packs.

A gallon of Sadies hot salsa.   Believe the label, it's hot!   Reminds me of the old school macho table salsas you used to get with your bowl of chips if you asked for it special at Mexican restaurants.  

2 Costco packs of frozen chopped HOT green chiles.  I would have preferred med heat but I grabbed what they had.  Each pack has 12 smaller envelopes of chopped roasted chile.  Looks very nice and conveniently portioned.   I have never seen frozen chiles in Costco in AZ.

(Also bought 3 2023 Balloon Festival calendars, ~$4 bucks each.  Cheap and pretty to look at, that was my tourist purchase)

 

Adult beverages:  Atapino.  Nice for campfire sipping after eating green chile stew.

 

30 lbs of my beloved NM Pinon coffee beans right at the roastery on Comanche.  I know in the past on eG it's been disparaged as "tourist" coffee.  I've loved it for decades and will continue to love my "tourist" coffee.  I get the med roast beans and I just enjoy that buttery undertone of the pinon nuts in it.

 

Here's a delicious hot mess of Christmas smothered hash browns in Taos.    I was late taking a pic because I was hungry.

 

image.thumb.png.b89eda73ca3c3b0e667519fdd40dc01d.png


oh, hell. That’s right up there with @Kim Shook’s bacon and eggs from the breakfast thread. Glorious!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We lived in New Mexico for 8 years, green chili is certainly a way of life. So much so that when I would have breakfast with staff, if someone ordered oatmeal, he would variably get mocked or someone would tell the server to put green chili the poor guys oats.

 

After the first year, we learned to ask around about when the two main 'harvests' would show up in the local stores. If you wanted to buy cases of the good stuff, you had to be there in the first two or three days. You could get them year round, but that first delivery was the freshest, biggest, and best-priced. (To be fair, the second harvest seemed to taste better, but I don't know why). When the shipments would come in, most grocery stores would have huge entry displays with stacks of 25lb cases of the varying heat levels.

 

Then the real chili-heads had their own favorite farms or areas, and special chillies. While green chili is not normally a very hot pepper, you could get mild, medium, hot, extra hot, and triple-x. And some years the XXX would be a fair comparison to some of the genuinely hot chillies in the world. The triple-X wasn't usually available at normal grocers, but some of the smaller places would carry them. Some friends were so committed they would drive a couple of hours to a particular farm or roadside stand to get their favorite batch each year.

 

One of my favorites was a red chili from Jemez. Just a wonderful smoky flavor, it made the best red enchiladas I've ever had. We used to know a family that had a farm there and could get a private stash from time to time.

 

As for restaurants, a couple of Green-Chile winners (As you can tell, I can't decide on a spelling of chili or chile...)

 

Statewide: Blake's Lottaburger has great green chili cheeseburgers. A real staple. Depending on the season or the day they range from medium to very hot.

 

Gallup (northwest NM):

-The Rocket has the hottest green chili that is still mild enough to truly enjoy - great with juevos-rancheros or to dip your crispy bacon in

-Jerry's Cafe has the absolute tastiest green chili, but not very hot. Not a stew, but a sauce. Also, their ground beef (in tacos & enchiladas) is catnip-level-addictive

 

We're living back overseas again, and this time the only food we really miss is Green Chili.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My eG Food Blog (2011)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

: Blake's Lottaburger has great green chili cheeseburgers. A real staple. Depending on the season or the day they range from medium to very hot.

 

Possibly Significant Eater's favorite for a burger. I've had one or two and yes, they are pretty darn good.

  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, weinoo said:

 

Possibly Significant Eater's favorite for a burger. I've had one or two and yes, they are pretty darn good.

 

My first (real) green chili cheeseburger was about 2010, in Alamogordo, NM. I went to a place and the lady could tell I was out of my element. She said, "Just trust me, I'll give you something you'll never forget." It was greasy, salty beef, melty cheddar, crisp pickles, shredded lettuce, a good ripe tomato, a healthy whack of yellow mustard, and tons of chopped, roasted green chili on a butter toasted bun. As evidenced: I still haven't forgotten it. 

 

That combo of: green chili, mustard, pickle and lettuce are truly magical.

  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My eG Food Blog (2011)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2022 at 6:07 PM, chileheadmike said:

Just finished roasting another batch of Hatch.

Looks good and a clean pull. Did you use the ice water bath method?. That is the only way I can clean them easily. 

I started a small batch with the smoked. This pic was Sunday. Both were bubbling this morning when I 'burped' the big jar. Air locks are so much easier. 

The gallon jar has a silicone small disc that fits perfectly with a glass juice jar to hold all under the brine.

IMG_3871.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Looks good and a clean pull. Did you use the ice water bath method?. That is the only way I can clean them easily. 

I started a small batch with the smoked. This pic was Sunday. Both were bubbling this morning when I 'burped' the big jar. Air locks are so much easier. 

The gallon jar has a silicone small disc that fits perfectly with a glass juice jar to hold all under the brine.

IMG_3871.jpeg

I grilled them over hardwood charcoal on the Weber kettle. Once blackened and blistered, I put them into a container with a tight fitting lid until cool. Peels come off easily. 

  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Four flat packs of smoked Hatch with smoked garlic, onion, and tomatillo. Freezer packs. I can break off a half or quarter easily for winter salsa--add fresh green onion/cilantro winter months. 

Good spice. Not too much. Heat is present forward but sneaks up in the background minutes later. 

 

IMG_3885.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...